SSD unaccessible after removing user

Before I had to always type in my user password before accessing the ssd. Was really annoying but then I deleted and created an other user profile. Now I get the ‘‘cant mount error’’. What’s going on? Worked fine before besides the annoying authentication

Did this SSD contain the Operating System, or was it an additional DATA type SSD?

Depending on the answer to the first question, you might have an ownership issue?

Basically we need more information on your hardware setup and what you are trying to do.

Pudge

1 Like

It was an additional data ssd.
I honestly have no idea if it is an ownership issue but it could be because when the other user existed I was able to access the ssd just fine altho with authentication pass.

I get ‘‘failed to mount 1,TB VOLUME Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/user/C27804C47804B8E5: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.’’

how are you trying to mount the device? (ie Filemanager or command line)

What is the Filesystem?

1 Like

Thru the file manager.
Internal ssd.

Edit: terminal says ntfs

I think @thefrog was referring to the type of filesystem, such as ext4, btrfs, or NTFS.

Pudge

When I use sudo blkid it says type=ntfs for that specific drive.

Well that leaves me out. I haven’t had anything on a NTFS storage device for almost 2 decades.

But there are people here who can help you out.

Pudge

Haha not even sure if it defaults to NTFS or that it changed to it. Cuz the ssd with the OS in it is ext4 and it is an older ssd than the other one

If you bought it new and did not format it then yes many sellers will automatically default it to NTFS.

age has nothing to do with it. the file system is chosen during installation for the install disk.

did you unmount it cleanly?

like @Pudge I’m not your help for NTFS file sytems as I don’t use it.

1 Like

Hmm not sure if it is unmounted cleanly. Like I said initially the drive was accesible. But I deleted the older user profile. When the other profile existed I was able to access it on my current profile typing a password. It never automatically mounted on boot. Am I able to switch the file system somehow would that fix it?

I fixed the problem.

So what I did was:
sudo

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1

to change it to ext4
then

sudo mkdir -p /mt/sdb1

to create mount point
then mounting with

sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mt/sdb1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.