SSD Not Found on Calamares After Failed Install

Hello, all.

Writing with some anxiety-inducing news and hope the folks can help.

I got a new X1 Nano Gen 2 and wanted to fully replace Windows 10 Pro with the latest Endeavour OS ISO. I disbaled secure boot and successfully began the install process. However, at around 60% or so, Calamares informed me that the install failed, outputting with code 126.

I’m kicking myself now, but I didn’t save that log and email it to myself. Because:

When I rebooted, Calamares could NOT find any partition on my drive, other than the live USB. Output of

lsblk -f

is:

NAME   FSTYPE   FSVER            LABEL       UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0  squashfs 4.0                                                                     0   100% /run/archiso/airootfs
sda    iso9660  Joliet Extension EOS_202208  2022-08-28-20-55-34-00                              
├─sda1 iso9660  Joliet Extension EOS_202208  2022-08-28-20-55-34-00                     0   100% /run/archiso/bootmnt
└─sda2 vfat     FAT16            ARCHISO_EFI A2D6-6CDF   

Below you will find the hardware info and most recent boot log. What can be done now? I’ve done installs on other machines before, but I’ve never messed up this poorly before. Thanks for your help.

Hardware information:

https://clbin.com/FiZ0F

Boot log:

https://clbin.com/nR0P7

@avantbored
Not sure what happened on the install. Did you try installing using ext4 and swap file? How did you create the live ISO?

Edit: Since you were going to replace Windows 10 then i guess try another install. Boot on the live ISO. Make sure you have internet and maybe update mirrors first. Then use erase disc ext4 and swap file and it will partition the drive if you are wanting to get rid of Windows 10 and install EndeavourOS. Not sure if you chose erase disc or not?

Edit2: You could also boot on the live ISO and if it is your intent to erase the disc and replace Windows with EOS then you could launch gparted and create a new GPT partition first. This will erase the current disc Windows is installed on and then close gparted and run the installer. Then you can choose erase disc and ext4 with swap file.

Edit3: Just wondered if it shows the drive when booted on a live ISO?

Hello, Rick. Thanks for your quick reply.

With other distros, your methods have worked for me, but unfortunately, the problem is that there is no disk to erase; Calamares tells me there is “no partition” to write on. Attached is a screenshot of Gparted from the live environment. The only storage device detected is the USB drive from which the live envrionment runs. I created it on my other machine that runs Manjaro, and used the EndeavourOS command line instructions here: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/create-install-media-usb-key/2021/03/

To your question: I chose to erase the disk and create a swap.

If it also helps, this is a X1 Nano Gen 2; when BIOS attempts to boot from the HDD, I am returned the following error:

2100: Detection error on Storage Device

So, something I’ve done has made this drive unreadable now. A replacement SSD is not super costly, but of course I’d like to avoid that.

Screenshot_2022-09-01_22-41-58

There is no other drive in the drop down window?

Correct. No other drive.

Okay so it looks like this error is a detection error that could be a bad connection or the drive died.
I think go into you UEFI bios and check the settings to see if it shows your drive there. Check the settings that it’s set to boot from that drive and not some other hardware?

If the error was 2101 it would be stuck in hibernation.

Between my original post and now I thought to just try plugging/unplugging the drive in. No dice – still get the same error and Gparted doesn’t see it.

Before I tried installing EOS, the disk would show in the drives available to boot from. My warning sensors started to light up when only the USB showed up in BIOS.

I got this machine literally today (through a purchase program at my employer). Could the drive really have died?!

Well i don’t know at this atge. Currently it’s not recognixzing it on boot for what ever reason. Does th laptop have the emergency reset hole in the bottom of the laptop?

Indeed it does. I have not tried that yet – I suppose I shall.

1 Like

If by chance you have a SATA to USB SSD enclosure, you could put the SSD in the enclosure and plug it into the USB port of a working computer and see if it gets recognized.

Pudge

1 Like

No dice. I’m back from trying that reset button.

I do have one, but not for the right form factor. The X1 Nano uses a M.2 2242.

Details, there are always details getting in the way. :thinking:

Pudge

Where are my manners? Welcome to the EndeavourOS forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

I would unplug all external devices hooked up to the laptop and try reboot. You can try the reset key . I would also go into the UEFI Bios screen and check some settings such as time and date. Are they correct? I would also check and make sure secure boot is disabled and csm is also disabled. It could be that you tried to install and forgot to disable secure boot? CSM needs to be disabled also so it doesn’t try to install in Bios mode (MBR). I would set the settings so it’s UEFI only CSM off and no legacy UEFI only.

1 Like

Is Endeavour the only distro that doesn’t see the drive? Fedora? Manjaro? Ubuntu?

New doesn’t mean good, maybe it’s a faulty drive?

2 Likes

Trying to determine that. :wink:

No other devices are plugged in, but for the live USB. Secure boot had been disabled, and is what got me this far in the process. I will check CSM as well, but the BIOS page for this machine is the barest I’ve seen. No “Storage Option” setting for me to change the mode, just a load of security settings for various functions like the fingerprint reader and webcam.

Are you sure? Some settings in UEFI are hidden in another tab or menu sometimes.

Edit: I would even try changing some settings related to the drive if you can and then change them back again in UEFI. Check the boot settings, first boot etc.