Spectacle keeps taking random screenshots

Can anyone help ? i use plasma DE and Spectacle keeps taking random screenshots, very annoying, thanks in advance

Would need a bit more info to give any helpful advise, do you have any keybindings set that may be causing it?

Not that i am aware of, i do not use keybindings

I’ll have a look and see if i can find any similar issues

A quick search has shown me many different causes.

Here is a link to their instructions but most results are showing things to do with compositing/vsync - i know very little about this, i keep them on default settings, sorry i cany be of more help

https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/spectacle/spectacle/using.html

Unlikely, if you do not give a better description of the problem.

You see, I also use Spectacle on four computers, and it is never taking random screenshots, nor is it taking screenshots at random. It works properly.

1 Like

Spectacle randomly pop ups from nothing with a screenshot of my desktop, sometimes it takes 3 hours, sometimes it takes 7 or 10hours, i have no ideia why this happens (sorry for the bad english)

I suspect it could be my keyboard, i ruined my old keyboard about 3 or 4 months ago dropping beverage on it and i don’t remember having this issue with the old keyboard, so maybe it could be a problem with the new keyboard but not quite sure

Maybe try another one or disconnect it for a bit and see if the issue still occurs. Like kreshmir mentioned, i use spectacle daily and have not had this occur
You can use KDE connect as a keyboard also if you need, its what im using now

2 Likes

Never ever had this happen on KDE. Maybe try another keyboard then if you suspect that.

2 Likes

I’ll try to change the keyboard today and see if that works, i might need to give it a few days for the testing tho.

1 Like

Whether or not you use them, there’s a lot of default keybindings already set for you. Spectacle should be print screen. You can find more shortcuts in your settings.

So far so good, no screenshots were taken :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi as suggestion use flameshot as a screenshot tool.

Sudo pacman -S flameshot

To start it you can find it in graphics from launcher.
flameshot

–
Data

2 Likes

Little update, i am still having the problem, the difference is that before it kept taking screenshots everyday and now with the new keyboard only every 3 or 4 days, i don’t think it’s a problem with spectacle but i think i had 1 or 2 screenshots taken even when using Live Cd :woozy_face:
Edit: i should mention that i’ve replaced my keyboard with an exact 1:1 copy of the old keyboard i had, both were bought on the same day so i just swapped them for test, maybe getting a different keyboard of another brand might help

Hi
Is your keyboard programmable?
It not some predefined macro that’s firing? that’s stored in keyboard memory?

Probably not but…

–
Data

1 Like

No

This is not the first time i have issue with keyboard, first time was maybe 2 years ago
One day my keyboard began to replace the buttons, i’ll try to give an example:
Pressing n = would input “m”
Or
Pressing m = would input several characters at once like “jfkff”
and the more i used the more key buttons it would corrupt
I tried getting a new keyboard back in the day and the new keyboard was already corrupted in about 3 hours
I tried testing both keyboard in another pc with windows 7 and the problem was reproducible
i had to get rid of both keyboards and spend money with a third one
Here’s what i did back in the day: i bought a new keyboard and formated the system and that worked for me

Is this issue not resolved? I have never ever had spectacle do this on KDE.

Not yet, it doesn’t seem to be an application issue
I removed Spectacle from: systemsettings > shortcuts and installed flameshot and set it to take a screenshot with “Print”, i’ll wait and see what happens now

Update: having removed spectacle from systemsettings > shortcuts seems to have helped, i installed flameshot and set it to take a screenshot with “Print”, for some reason spectacle took 2 screenshots while i was writting here on the topic this morning, so far seems to have helped but i’ll need a few days to find out how it goes.