Something prevents my os to boot (arbitrarily)

When I boot the machine, I get a black screen with 2 lines of code which looks something like this:

reading files 1511321/56465131

Then nothing happens.
After that I open the command line with the shortcut, do something (something like sudo reboot, or in other case some pacman query) and then it boots normally until I shut down or reboot again. What’s the best way to understand why that happens?

PS I have not updated any program after the first update when I freshly install EOS the day before yesterday. I have only installed some basic programs that I had with my previous EOS. nvidia-smi command seems fine too. Any ideas?

Some info:

(base) [tigran@asus ~]$ hostnamectl
 Static hostname: asus
       Icon name: computer-laptop
         Chassis: laptop
      Machine ID: 605b483f9d2c4ea49675eeb514c570b6
         Boot ID: 9f13d04fc3ab4fcebbf4a99a1080a3be
Operating System: EndeavourOS                     
          Kernel: Linux 5.15.2-arch1-1
    Architecture: x86-64
 Hardware Vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  Hardware Model: ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401IV_GA401IV

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.15.2-arch1-1
Uptime: 12m
Packages: 1089
Shell: bash 5.1.8
Resolution: 2560x1080
DE: KDE 5.88.0 / Plasma 5.23.3
WM: KWin
GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: breeze-dark
Disk: 237G / 946G (27%)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics @ 16x 3GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design
RAM: 2954MiB / 15478MiB

Please read through the page linked to

and provide some more detailed info, valuable for anyone who is able to assist you.

Thanks and best of luck!

Here is the boot log of the current session which happened to boot normally: https://clbin.com/bPWtP

Note: that sometimes it boots without issues, and sometimes it freezes on the black page that says:

Starting version ...
/dev/ ... blocks
1 Like

I thought it’s the time shift, but even after deleting time shift and removing the ssd it still doesn’t boot https://clbin.com/BGAMB

404 for that link.

https://clbin.com/CBHs5

It’s apparently a failure related to SDDM:

Nov 16 15:29:32 asus sddm[544]: Failed to read display number from pipe
Nov 16 15:29:32 asus sddm[544]: Display server stopping...

There are some recent threads on the forum, plus

The first command gives these results

Those are warnings. What’s not working?

Should I wait until all the links fail or is it eventually going to be able to find links that work?

I can’t see what your computer is doing, so you’ll have to work out whether your network is working or not.

The network works when I do ping

What happens when you do pacman -Syyu

Edit: Have you had EndeavourOS installed and working on this laptop?

pacman -Syyu does its job without errors. And yes, I have used EOS for around a week without issues before.

The computer booted again. What’s the best way to remove the nvidia proprietary drivers automatically and install again with EOS nvidia-installer?

I’d install the linux-lts kernel (and headers) and see if that works better. There may be some issues with this early version of the 5.15 kernel.

Do I have to remove anything before install, or is it plain install and reboot?

I remember that dkms installed nvidia 475 and after I updated the packages, I got 495 and that’s where the problem probably appeared. What do you think?

nvidia-installer-dkms -n will put you back to nouveau open source drivers after reboot.

ricklinux Would you recommend to try that? Will that erase the current nvidia drivers completely?

Yes it will and install open source nouveau. I’m not sure how you installed it originally? I know this laptop is kinda special and others have had troubles. I’m surprised you had it working.