[SOLVED] Will This Update Problem Be Fixed Soon?

Dear Bryan,

Thanks for this information - but when I copied the command < pacman -Rdd libdmx libxxf86dga && pacman -Syu > as root and then tried to update, I got:

[rogstrix@rogstrix ~]$ yay
[sudo] password for rogstrix: **
:: Synchronizing package databases…
** core is up to date

** extra is up to date**
** community is up to date**
** multilib is up to date**
** endeavouros is up to date**
:: Starting full system upgrade…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency ‘xf86miscproto’ required by libxxf86misc
Error installing repo packages
[rogstrix@rogstrix ~]$

I tried uninstalling xorgproto and got:

[rogstrix@rogstrix ~]$ yay -Rns xorgproto
**[sudo] password for rogstrix: **
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘inputproto’ required by lib32-libxi
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xproto’ required by libice
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xproto’ required by libx11
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘kbproto’ required by libx11
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xproto’ required by libxau
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘compositeproto’ required by libxcomposite
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘damageproto’ required by libxdamage
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xproto’ required by libxdmcp
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xextproto’ required by libxext
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘fixesproto’ required by libxfixes
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xproto’ required by libxfont2
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘fontsproto’ required by libxfont2
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘inputproto’ required by libxi
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xineramaproto’ required by libxinerama
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xorgproto’ required by libxpresent
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘randrproto’ required by libxrandr
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘renderproto’ required by libxrender
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘scrnsaverproto’ required by libxss
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘recordproto’ required by libxtst
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘inputproto’ required by libxtst
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘videoproto’ required by libxv
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xf86miscproto’ required by libxxf86misc
:: removing xorgproto breaks dependency ‘xf86vidmodeproto’ required by libxxf86vm
[rogstrix@rogstrix ~]$

So now what do I do?

Lawrence

@lhb1142 Here is the fix. Run it as root.

pacman -Rdd libdmx libxxf86dga && pacman -Syu

Then remove xorgproto also as root.

pacman -Rdd xorgproto

1 Like

You only can copy that command if you used sudo su, otherwise you have to type in sudo for each pacman command

Don’t use yay by the way.

1 Like

Dear Bryan and ricklinux:

THANK YOU for the solution to this problem. Do you think that it will be fixed in the normal course of events so that this manual intervention won’t be necessary?

I’m very glad I had this problem on one of my extra computers rather than my main one. Both my wife and I updated our computers the normal way early this morning but, when I went to update one of our extra ones, this happened.

Anyway, it’s fixed now on that extra computer - and I have only five (5) more computers on which to fix it!

Thanks again.

Lawrence

P.S. By the way, after rebooting, I was able to update the system using the yay command and there were no problems.

1 Like

It’s permanent, Arch cleaned the xorg packages.

1 Like

Dear Bryan,

THANKS! This takes a load off my mind.

If you read my reply on this thread < https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/notified-only-when-kernel-is-updated/2660 you can see just why we normally update only in the early morning here on the east coast of North America.

Had I waited until tomorrow morning to update this extra computer, this problem wouldn’t have happened!

Anyway I’m glad it’s all fixed. Especially my wife would have had a “fit” if this had happened to her!

Lawrence

1 Like

Hmm at my end this was not successfull.
I had to do sudo pacman -Rdd libxxf86dga libxxf86misc && sudo pacman -Syu as package libdmx was not recognized

I originally just unchecked xorgproto and updated. It wasn’t a problem but then after reading i knew i needed to remove xorgproto and the other files i wasn’t sure whether they ended up being removed. But it looks like they were after going back and checking. On my other computer i tried to remove xorgproto and i thought it would bork my system as it showed so many dependencies so i used the Arch method and then used pacman -Rdd xorgproto as it gave the same warnings if i just used pacman -R xorgproto. It’s all good. Then i got another 28 updates recently for xorg stuff and lib files. Weird!

-Rdd just means without depency test otherwise -R can block of warnings :slight_smile:

So in other words -Rdd bypasses looking at dependecies where as -R will give warnings about dependencies?

yep , if package A and Z need package X you do -R X , it cant because its a depency , -Rdd X does removes X without check

But in this instance it doesn’t do any harm, since Arch is recommending it to remove it.

1 Like

also arch also encourage not do partly update.

That hasn’t got anything to do with today’s situation. Arch released a cleanup update for xorg and after the update was performed you could safely remove xorgproto. So there was no risk removing it.

nvm , is no risk is just follow the leads also :slight_smile: just as rick did to not select it was only answering on

I agree but your explanation complicates today’s situation, if you look at the reaction from the OP on today’s update, your explanation will bring extra doubt, for no reason.

true story , @op sorry :slight_smile: to much on the chat channel probably :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to add libxxf86misc but then it worked

1 Like

Yeah, that’s work perfectly! It’s always a good idea stay tracking arch news to avoid this problems.

1 Like

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/update-requires-manual-intervention-xorg-cleanup-from-archlinux-upstream/

we do announced this also on forum, so i can say also it is needed to follow the news on rolling release systems :wink: