[Solved] Some questions before purchasing a laptop

So putting HP aside for the moment, I have these options

:point_up: Has everything I need

:point_up: No HDD, small ssd (256GB). Very less review and people complain about bad keyboard so won’t go for this.

Sorry, I keep forgetting about that.

Honestly, I would look at a machine with hardware that is at least 6 months old. You have a better chance of everything working properly from the start.

I keep forgetting about Huawei. They make some good machines at a decent price. If all you are giving up is the fingerprint reader, then that would probably be your best bet.

1 Like

I didn’t consider those. I’ll search them up. I plan to use the laptop for 4-5 years. You think Huawei/Honor will last these years? I didn’t consider those brands because I haven’t seen many people using them. Also Xiaomi is selling laptops for affordable prices, but I’ve read that they don’t have good quality; only the spec sheet is good.

Edit:

I don’t like using biometrics so this won’t be an issue for me

1 Like

That I wouldn’t know… I have mine about 6 months, and haven’t had any issues with it…
It has a full aluminium chassis, so it’s quite sturdy…
I have seen some complaints about the hinges on Reddit, but then again there are complaints about every laptop on Reddit.

I guess it’s the same like buying other Chinese products… you never know if it’s made of aluminium or chinesium alloy :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Huawei/Honor are both out of stock on Amazon and Flipkart (major online retailers in india). So I’ll have to skip those.

But I must say that Honor laptops look very good.:sparkles:

1 Like

It’s an obvious macbook air knock off :slight_smile:

but it has been good to me thus far

2 Likes

Stay away from them. I have seen nothing but trouble with them. Getting repair parts is not an option. Of the two Lenovo Laptops. I personally like the second one. It looks to be ₹ 5,500 cheaper than the first model. Looking at its specs, it has an M.2 slot and a Sata slot. so you should be able to put a HDD in it in addition to the SSD at a later date. Is ₹ 5,500 enough to buy a HDD?

https://www.lenovo.com/ng/en/laptops/lenovo/v-series/Lenovo-V14/p/88LG80V8017

All that being said, I have never put Linux on either model. Since you know that @Krimkerre has put Linux without issue on his, that might be the best way to go.

Sure. Thanks!

It has good specs. Has very less reviews on amazon, and they complain about bad keyboard. I can add an HDD with the money I save. Right now, I have an external 500GB HDD and a brand new 1TB external HDD so storage isn’t a concern right now.

Just want to know if the keyboard is good. Because I type Latex and do programming. If its good, I’ll go with it.

1 Like

That I can’t help you with. I have not had a chance to play around with a Lenovo (other than the cheapest models they make) since I moved to Thailand 8 years ago.

However, it has a good warranty.

1 Like

If you want keys with a decent amount of travel, my above mentioned Huawei Matebook might not be for you…
It has one of those shallow keyboards… while not bad, it might not be the best for coding.

1 Like

I’m not very particular about keys. Even right now I’m using a cheap Dell keyboard, and I’m okay with it.

What I don’t like is when the keys need super high force to be registered

These two reviews made me concerned about keyboard on the model.

is that for a Matebook D14?

So far no troubles here, guess I’ll have to keep an eye out then

No that was for the Lenovo V14 laptop

No, that is for the Lenovo.

As far as keyboard go. I have never been able to work for long periods of time on a laptop. If I find myself needing to do a bunch of work, I plug in a USB keyboard.

Those reviews are concerning.

1 Like

Here is the Amazon page for the Lenovo in the US. No one is mentioning Keyboard issues. I wonder if there was a bad batch.

1 Like

Quite possible yes. The reviews on US website look good.

I wonder, is this one out of your price range? I am not familiar enough with the Rupee.

1 Like

I have 50k to spend. This one is 57k. But I’ll try to talk it out with my dad (after all he’s the one paying my bills. :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Good Luck! You have some options to think about. Let us know what you end up going with.

1 Like

Another question : How do you guys buy laptops without Windows preinstalled. I guess I can save on that since I’ll install EnOS anyways, but everything on amazon has windows preinstalled.

1 Like