[SOLVED] Reboot puzzle

It’s deprecated :frowning:

@pebcak Thx for the suggestion I may try it tomorrow. But since the BIOS can’t see either of my two SSDs after a soft reboot from EOS I don’t quite understand how having the grub menu on both SSDs will make a difference.

You’ve got a point there. I seem to have overlooked this:

I am afraid I don’t know what the issue could be then.

It doesn’t make sense to me either but … when things go south they don’t! :grinning:

Edit: What i meant is it doesn’t make sense that only soft startup has no grub?

1 Like

@rogerp
Would be nice to see some more info if you could provide the links to the following commands.

inxi -Faz --no-host | eos-sendlog

sudo fdisk -l | eos-sendlog

cat /etc/fstab | eos-sendlog

inxi -Faz --no-host | eos-sendlog

sudo fdisk -l | eos-sendlog

cat /etc/fstab | eos-sendlog

BTW: I changed the boot flag on the sda3 partition to the sda1 partition. No affect at all. Tried two shutdown and power-ups, two soft restarts and one “hit the reset button” hard restart.

Only a full shutdown and cold start gives me the grub2 menu.

What is on sda3? I assume you are using that partition for other stuff. Normally the Windows bootloader is on the drive it’s installed. When you installed Linux the grub should have been on sda because it is grub that controls the booting of both Windows and Linux. I don’t know why you would set the flag to boot sda3? When you chrooted into the system using the live usb where did you reinstall grub?

I use sda3, which I formatted as NTFS, to hold a large encrypted VeraCrypt volume that I can mount from either Windows or Linux and thus choose the appropriate OS according to the type of work (code development and cool stuff on Linux, interacting with my company documentation and their insane MS Word macros on Windows).

The original intention of that partition was as a place I could save what files I could from my corrupted Windows disk (another reason I made it NTFS). I ran file rescue operations and had the results written to that disk. All that is scrap now. Only the shared volume is used.

When I clean-installed Windows I forgot to physically unplug the sda disk until it was too late :grimacing:. Not only did windows remove grub etc. it also decided (without permission from me) that sda3 was going to be bootable. I just forgot how irresponsible the makers of the installation software are. I pointed the installation at sdb but it decided to remove Linux files on sda. Normally I believe people make mistakes, but ignoring which disk the user wants Windows installed on and reaching in and wiping well-known Linux files is done by design :rage:. [End of rant.]

sda3 is not bootable anymore :yum:

So can you not just boot on the live ISO and arch-chroot and reinstall grub to the drive that eos is installed on? Remember that os-prober has to be set in the default grub file so it will see Windows and then you just update grub.

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That’s exactly what I did after Windows screwed it all up. OK, not exactly. I used grub-customizer as well because I’m lazy and by that stage I’d had enough.

grub2 sees windows already. And yes, I did enable os-prober: GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="false"

The grub menu is fine. I just can’t get to it from EOS by rebooting. Only by shutting down and restarting. Rebooting from Windows finds the grub menu with no probs.

Maybe I should do it again as you said. I’d love to know why the BIOS gets confused though.

Thx for your help.

I wouldn’t use grub customizer. It is known to wreak havoc.

1 Like

Perhaps that’s where I went wrong!

If you are able to boot into eos you should be able to just reinstall grub. You don’t have to chroot if you able to boot into it. I would just remove grub customizer, reinstall grub and update grub with the command. See what happens.

Edit: I see it’s marked solved? Were you able to fix it?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.