[SOLVED] MicroSD card not detected

Idk if this helps, but if I format the card fat32 on the pc, the device still wants the card formatted when inserted.

If the device formats the card, 3 of my 4 endeavour machines can see the card and whats on it.

So now, even though MY daily use machine has a usb 2 card reader, maybe there is a driver for the card reader?
It is an Alcor Micro 8 in 1 card reader.

Maybe this is all the reader…I’ve never had issues with it and boot from it all the time…maybe it doesnt like sandisk micro cards…sandisk usb’s work fine in it…
I’ll try to find a different reader and try and confirm this

Have you tried one of these USB card readers

I have used that exact model for all my Arm development work. I haven’t had any problems with it.

EDIT:
When I went to close the Amazon page, I noticed this.

(NOTICE: The Card Reader is NOT compatible with iPhone/iPad/SIM Card)

For what it’s worth.

Pudge

1 Like

@MrEd
Does it not show any hardware for this card reader using sudo dmesg or sudo lsusb

Example: ```
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)

Well I’ll be dipped in doodoo and rolled in bread crumbs!

As soon as I saw what you posted Pudge, I went “DOH!” because I got one similar as a free gift from something a couple years ago…

That allowed me to try a different usb port.
…and what do you know, your post was worth it! :stuck_out_tongue:
Card popped right up!

It’s the card reader, has to be, but I don’t think it’s bad, It is a floppy sized bay device and the same slot works for the larger sd cards. Theres probly a driver out there for that device to translate whatever it’s seeing or something.

Anyway, one mystery solved. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I found this. There is a driver for that hardware.

https://ysegorov.github.io/2016/au6601/

Edit: Is this a different device though?

1 Like

Well, whaddya know.

Not sure it’s the same? But it is

Edit: This is in a laptop running off the pci-e bus so it may not be applicable.

I also found this on Arch generic smart card drivers.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Smartcards

I’ll give that a read and see what I come up.
I’m just glad I can get the video off the card now…
Time to put it all together, and it on the pellet gun, as I’ve got varmits to be gotten,
as well as other various backyard targets, probly more eggs :stuck_out_tongue:

AH, yes I was reading that page

It also shows an Alcor Micro in reading through it.

Edit: Did you use another smartcard reader to access the disc?

I used that little usb doodad Pudge posted and I was able to go straight into a different usb port bypassing the bay reader

OKay…so you used a usb unit instead of an internal card reader that has multi use card slots.

That’s the part that’s odd.
The bay device plugs into a usb header on the mobo.
and that’s why I was thinking there was a driver for certain functions of it I guess.
Come to think of it, that bay device is really old, so it’s probly holding back functionality of what can be done just by plugging straight into newer usb ports.

That Arch page shows three different card reader tools. So i don’t know if that is something that will work?