[SOLVED] Is Anyone Else Having Trouble Upgrading balena-etcher? - Part 2

A lot of people prefer to build electron apps from source so they can ensure that is linked to the system electron and other system libraries which they know are regularly updated as opposed to whatever may be bundled in a vendor provided binary.

2 Likes

That sort of thing would be “way beyond me.” I’m glad to have a pre-compiled program that I can just use. But I can understand why people who have knowledge superior to mine and are far more advanced would want to do it.

Sometimes I wish I were twenty or thirty years younger and could really “get into” Linux (but also had the knowledge I have now!).

Lawrence

1 Like

Yes it works flawlessly. You can create the ISO from a file on the computer or a URL. The version of etcher (balena-etcher with electron) i stopped using a long time ago when i noticed ad stuff and what you are talking about. I’m a real hater of annoying ads but i do not use ad blockers. Ad blockers can work but they can also be worse than the problem because some of them employ the same tactics of ads and spying. I tend to use apps that i find work without issues otherwise i dump them and find something that suits my criteria. One of the things i dislike about the Internet is ads and social media apps that are making money off of spying and tracking and selling your user data. For me this is not what the Internet was intended. This is the biggest reason i have become more open source aware. I have no problems and ads are not an issue for me because i stay away from those platforms such as Facebook. Yes there are always going to be some ads on web pages but there is a difference between that and being targeted with ads that specifically are being sent to you when you are browsing. Anyway the reason i use etcher-bin also is because it works.

1 Like