Installed linux-lts is now the default kernel. How can I change It?

I installed the Linux-LTS kernel as per the instructions here on the forum. Everything went fine.

But now, when I login, the LTS kernel is the default and I have to scroll down to the ‘regular’ kernel. I would like to change the default back to the latest (5.2.5) ‘regukar’ kernel, keeping the LTS kernel as a backup (I would have to scroll down to mount the LTS kernel rather than the other way around).

How do I do this?

I hope that someone can tell me what to do in plain, simple English. I’m sure that there is an Arch wiki but Ihave found those to be convoluted at best and often outdated and/or incorrect.

Thank you.

Lawrence

1 Like

The easy way is to load grub customizer and then you can move position of the entries.

3 Likes

you can setup in two ways …

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Changing_the_default_menu_entry

so like :

GRUB_DEFAULT=“1>2”

you can do also in titles but would be complicated as on wiki …

or : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Recall_previous_entry

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
un tag
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

by recalling when you choose it stick to the choice

even there on the wiki you can setup the old menu style :slight_smile:

dont forget to generate the grub.

edit : 1>2 means second but if you want the thirth would be 1>4 , but if you install linux-zen , it comes above, its also like linux but with zen patches…

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken (if I am, someone please correct me!), the command to regen the grub file is:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

2 Likes

That is correct.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you! So easy - and it worked perfectly!

Thank you very much.

Lawrence

but dont use grub-costumizer to much it can mess also too much basicly. sure its easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

@lhb1142 I agree with you on the Arch wiki. I get a headache just looking at it because everything just leads to something else. It’s like trying to catch a ferret! Part of the problem with Linux and why i believe it is not the desktop of choice is exactly for this reason. Convoluted answers by and large either that are wrong or so technical the average user cannot understand it. This is one of the reasons i am here. When i first came across Arch and saw how difficult it can be and then i found Antergos and i was hooked. I believe that Endeavour is on the path to be even more. I am happy that you are here and i hope that everyday you learn something new as i have and still do. This is a great community and Endeavour is shaping up to be the distro that does.

4 Likes

You are absolutely correct. Frankly, I believe that some people want to show off what ‘geniuses’ they are - THEY know things that YOU and I don’t - and they make it as difficult as possible to follow their thinking and/or their ‘explanations.’

And THEY like to ‘lord it over’ us with ‘directions’ that no normal person could follow.

Maybe some ‘nerds’ like to do things the convoluted way but ordinary computer users like myself, who just want to use various programs on the computer to actually DO things (audio, video, graphics, etc.) want to have SIMPLE means of setting up their computers so they can just use them.

Of course I fully realize that some computer wizards (such as the developers of EndeavourOS) really MUST know all of the arcane things about GNU/Linux distributions. Otherwise they could never create one!

But I, for one, am only an ordinary computer user in his late seventies who did not grow up with computers and I have never had a computer lesson in my life. Everything I know has been obtained through reading books, articles, and questions and answers on forums. Plus, if I have a specific question to which I have not found an answer that I can understand, well, I’ll ask the question myself (and hope for a simple answer).

The program you recommended < grub-customizer > did exactly what I wanted it to do and it did it simply and quickly.

I found, a number of years ago (and I wrote this into one of the forums) that EVERYTHING in Linux is easy - once you know how to do it!

That’s one of the really nice things about this particular forum (and was also on the Antergos forum). There are lots of people (and it seems that more and more are joining every day) who are willing to HELP other people (like myself) who have (lots of) questions and explain what to do in the easiest way possible.

I thank you especially and everyone else who has gone out of their way to help me.

Lawrence

2 Likes

You are very welcome. Like you say Linux is easy once you know how. But, some aspects of it will always be more in depth than most users want or need to be and that is what i am getting at. You can’t just give people commands and expect them to understand what to do. Most things relate to program commands and if you are not familiar with it then you are lost. So things need to be explained not always but sometimes so you understand what the command does. It’s not like you have to write a novel but it sure helps to have the ability to look at the command and understand what it is saying to some degree. Albeit that takes time but it all becomes familiar after repetition and gaining some insight.

1 Like

That pretty much nails it! :laughing:

3 Likes