[SOLVED] How to Change from Auto-login back to "Regular" Login

I have two computers, an

< Alienware AW17R3-7092SLV 17.3" FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M | SERVICE TAG 73Z3P72 >

and an

< ASUS ROG Strix GL553VE-DS74 15.6" Gaming Laptop GTX 1050Ti 4GB Intel Core i7-7700HQ 16GB DDR4 256GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD RGB Keyboard >

on which I have EndeavourOS installed.

When I first installed the system on these two computers, I chose the Auto-login option. For a long time that worked properly.

But in recent months, Auto-login does not always work. Sometimes it does and these computers login automatically, but other times the auto-login does not work and I have to login the usual way. There does not appear to be any rhyme nor reason for when or how often this occurs.

Frankly I am tired of this anomaly and I would like to eliminate that Auto-login option altogether (in other words, I want to manually login each time I start the computers).

How do I change (eliminate) Auto-login?

Thanks for any help.

Lawrence

Which desktop?

1 Like

If lightdm is doing the auto login part, then you can edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as superuser.
Search for autologin-user and comment out the line that says autologin-user = <your-user-name>.
Comments are made by prefixing pound symbol (#) to the beginning of line.

2 Likes

Xfce

Lawrence

Thanks. I’ll try this later today or tomorrow and I’ll let you know if it works.

Thanks again.

Lawrence

1 Like

flyingcakesRegular

Dear flyingcakes,

I just tried your “fix” on one of the computers in question and it works perfectly. Thank you very much. I’ll try it on the other computer later today.

What I still mystified by is why the auto-login would work some of the time but not work other times. This, to me, is very strange …

But thanks very much again for explaining to me what I had to do in order to eliminate auto-login. (I’m never going to use auto-login again.)

I hope that you, and everyone here (and really everyone!), has a Happy and a HEALTHY New Year.

Lawrence

2 Likes

Just a hint. Do you use sleep/hibernate on the computer? Also, ther is probably an option on a “shutdown window” to “save session for future logins”. I would start my troubleshooting there.
I don’t have XFCE install at hand so I can’t help you more.

1 Like

Dear vikon,

No I do not use sleep/hibernate. And, as I am never going to use the auto-login option again, none of it matters.

I set up the auto-login on two computers which I use for particular purposes. I thought that auto-login would just make things easier as there is no private information on these computers.

But, at least in my experience, auto-login is much more of a problem than merely logging in normally.

So, goodbye auto-login! (And good riddance!)

Thanks for your interest.

Lawrence

1 Like

Hi

I’m glad if I could help.

Back when I used Solus, I had auto-login enabled. It worked initially, but after a couple of months things became glitched. It would go pass the login screen automatically but before loading the DE, it would again show up the login screen. And it would anyways ask my password to unlock keyring if it auto logged in. So I have dropped auto-login for the near future.

Happy New Year! :partying_face:

1 Like

Dear flyingcakes,

I used your solution on my second computer which had auto-login activated (and worked some of the time but not all of the time).

Your fix worked perfectly on this computer too. So now, no more auto-login!

Thanks again very much.

Lawrence

1 Like

Glad to help you! :blush: