[SOLVED]Hidpi issues with apps on xfce, (Use Cinnamon)

Not much chance of that. Even if you left the ‘Arch style guidelines’ out of the equation, I don’t begin to have the in-depth knowledge required. I just try stuff, read up what I can find on it, and try to explain what I found to others :grin:

Much of what you find on Linux comes from a similar source - if you have the problem, and find a solution, then you can write a wiki or a how-to - or code a solution (if competent) - or maybe start a distro that solves the problem! Not that many are actually paid to make contributions (though more than many realize) - but they create what they can that matches up with their wants/needs. It works pretty well, too!

Cinnamon would probably be my fallback option too - but I’m getting awfully attached to XFCE! Good luck!

I’m trying something…I’ll reply in a bit

lol yeah er well back to cinnamon it is. I’ll be back when it’s simple enough for me.

cheers @freebird54, I will definitely be writing how to’s like you when I have a better understanding of Linux

Wait until Xfce 4.16 is out and lets see if the HiDpi support is better. Should be only a few weeks or more. Hopefully! Nothing wrong with Cinnamon.

Yeah I’m planning too, cheers for the heads up. Cinnamon is really nice actually.

Are all DE the same to theme? What I mean is if I download some themes from

then sudo mv them to /usr/share/themes or /icons or /backgrounds

will they show up in all DE settings?

obviously they show up in gnome tweaks.

Different DE’s use different things to adjust how they look I think. For example Fluxbox configurations are made with plain text files whereas Openbox uses HTML files. Whether this applies to theming I’m not sure, but you cannot apply a straight KDE theme to say, a Gnome DE. You would have to adapt and rewrite it.

Okay, i’ll look into theming for cinnamon then. thanks

1 Like

If you’re interested in how the various themes are applied then examining the theme files with a text editor would be the place to start. I haven’t done that personally but it seems an interesting place to start. Creating a new theme would be great! You’ve got me thinking… :grin:

lol, I think we’re having two very different conversations with each other.

I’m just a lowly simpleton when it comes to Linux. I was just asking how to basically install and set themes. Well I just wondered if I could do it on cinnamon the way I learnt how to do it on gnome.

Yeah, I was a bit off-topic there! Theming involves a lot of variables. I’d stick to themes that work with Cinnamon for now. I use KDE and use a fairly standard theme for that although it’s using different parts for the overall theme and the window manager. Something to be careful with is choosing which icon set to use. Some sets work with most themes whilst others are missing things.

:ok_hand:

I love cinnamon and have been using it since I first game to linux 4 years ago. There’s a lot of themes on cinnamon spices

Checkout the desklets and applets if you really want to customise your desktop

Thanks I’ll book mark that. :wink: