[SOLVED] Crash to Failback Mode on Login

Hello all,

I’ve been looking for a solve to this issue for a day or so and I’m coming up empty.

Completely wiped my laptop (Razer Blade 15" 2018 Base Model) yesterday from a running install of Endeavour built off the endeavouros-2019.09.15-x86_64.iso.

New install was done with the latest stable install. Clean download of both verified.

It installs without an issue, but adding in Cinnamon doesn’t work. I’m using the command from the wiki for adding DEs on a completely fresh and updated install. This is the output when trying to login to the system using Cinnamon:

[myuser]$ cat .xsession-errors
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: no suitable smartcard driver could be found
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: no suitable smartcard driver could be found
Cinnamon warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

Cinnamon warning: Could not find theme Adwaita. Falling back to default theme.Clutter-Message: 19:51:22.885: Sync method: PRESENTATION TIME

** (nemo-desktop:1269): WARNING **: 19:51:23.069: Current gtk theme is not known to have nemo support (Adwaita) - checking...

** (nemo-desktop:1269): WARNING **: 19:51:23.868: The theme appears to have no nemo support.  Adding some...
** Message: 19:51:24.139: nemo-desktop: session is cinnamon, establishing proxy
Cinnamon error: Another compositing manager is already running on screen 0 on display ":0".Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 72, in <module>
    os.execvp(FALLBACK_COMMAND, (FALLBACK_COMMAND,) + FALLBACK_ARGS)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/os.py", line 566, in execvp
    _execvpe(file, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/os.py", line 608, in _execvpe
    raise last_exc
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/os.py", line 599, in _execvpe
    exec_func(fullname, *argrest)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
/usr/share/cinnamon-screensaver/cinnamon-screensaver-main.py:61: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.icon_size_register is deprecated
  Gtk.icon_size_register("audio-button", 20, 20)

I’ve confirmed that /usr/lib/python3.8/os.py exists.

I’ve also not removed the default install of xfce.

Any thoughts? I’ve tried tracking things back on this error and I cannot get any progress.

I installed Manjaro Cinnamon today at one point and was able to run with this DE properly.

I’d like to keep using Endeavour as my primary though. Would really appreciate any help that can be provided.

Hi Hexi, which answer you have with :

inxi -Gxx | grep compositor

Hi Flval,

inxi was not available by default, but I was able to install it from the AUR.

The output was as follows:

compositor: gnome-shell tty: 240x67

This is after getting the failback mode crash, and swapping over to a shell session and running the command.

Did you check your Adwaita Theme ? When you use XFCE after instal, it’s normally by default on Adwaita, did you change something with it ?
Did you installed the addon for Nemo ?

You could first disable smart card if you don’t use it with modifying these lines in :
/etc/xdg/autostart/cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard.desktop

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=false
X-GNOME-AutoRestart=false

I just installed xfce and then installed Cinnamon. I didn’t have any issue. It has adwaita theming. I did not log into xfce but rather went into tty as root and installed cinnamon then systemctl reboot and went into cinnamon.

Edit: Now there are 75 updates on Cinnamon. This is installed in v-box though.

Something must have changed in those updates?

I deleted all of the partitions on my NVMe drive, and then recreated the partition table as GPT.

I used the same installation drive with the latest stable install endeavouros-2019.10.15-x86_64.iso, got to the first login through xfce, used sudo pacman -S cinnamon system-config-printer gnome-keyring blueberry cinnamon-translations, rebooted and was immediately able to load Cinnamon.

The default wallpaper is now also different from the one that was loading previously.

I was also able to do a full system update and install the most recent Nvidia drivers + Optimus Manager.

Apparently I just picked the wrong time to rebuild my machine? I think for now this is probably solved due to bad timing.

Thanks all for your help.

1 Like