[SOLVED] A (Very Small) Login Suggestion

I have installed the LTS Linux kernel so I now have four login options: the ‘regular’ Linux kernel as well as its ‘fallback’ plus the LTS and its fallback.

My very small suggestion is this: During login we see Linux linux or Linux lts.Would it be possible to show the version number of the kernel(s) on the login page? (And yes I know how to use the uname command.)

I would find showing the version numbers during login to be preferable to what is shown currently - BUT — if that change would require an inordinate amount of time and/or effort on the part of the developers, well then just forget about it!

Thanks for any consideration (and comments).

Lawrence

In grub I believe it is not easy to do (online), since the grub shell is quite limited. At grub generation time it in principal could be done, but then we’d have to modify grub itself.
But I can check if I find a reasonable way to do it.

1 Like

Thank you for responding to me. As I mentioned, if it would require an excessive amount of time and/or effort, don’t bother; it is really not worth it.

I had just thought that it would be helpful to have the version number shown instead of Linux linux. Linux 5.x.x (and Linux Lts 4.x.x) would be more informative.

But you already have a plateful - so just ignore this request.

Thank you.

Lawrence

1 Like

I looked at it, and it really is not easy to give that info.
In fact, I did think of the same thing a while back, and then I didn’t have an easy way to do it either.
As you mentioned, uname will do the job after boot… :smiley:

cat /proc/version
is more fun than doing uname -a which everyone else uses :smile:2019-08-15-184958_1868x320_scrot

cat /proc/version
is more fun than doing uname -a which everyone else uses

The trouble with BOTH of these commands is that they show only the version of the kernel that is actually mounted. To find, for example, the version of the LTS kernel I have on my computer, I’d have to reboot and use that LTS kernel to find out what version it is.

And then I’d have to reboot again so as to use the latest kernel version.

Clumsy at best.

It would have been nice if there had been some EASY way to actually show the available kernel version numbers on the login screen but that idea appears to be dead in the water.

Of course, it’s not a really important thing and I can live without it. I certainly do not want to cause any grief to the developers who have done such a great job with EndeavourOS.

Lawrence

1 Like

how about cat /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-

It should show you all your installed kernels

edit; I use autocomplete in zsh so this is mine. As you can see I see both my installed kernels 5.2.8 arch and 5.2.8-zen
2019-08-16-004231_764x287_scrot

pacman -Q linux-lts
pacman -Q linux
2 Likes

penguin007

16h

how about cat /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-

It should show you all your installed kernels

edit; I use autocomplete in zsh so this is mine. As you can see I see both my installed kernels 5.2.8 arch and 5.2.8-zen

2019-08-16-004231_764x287_scrot.png

I tried your exact command on an Antergos computer but it didn’t work.Screenshot_2019-08-16_11-08-27

Later today I’ll try it on one of my EndeavourOS computers and I’ll let you know if it works there. Please note that I do NOT use autocomplete in zhs. What would be the cat command for me?

Lawrence

manuel

13h

pacman -Q linux-lts
pacman -Q linux

This works perfectly though I modified the commands to < pacman -Q linux && pacman -Q linux-lts >. That shows both kernels in the results.

THANK YOU for this information.

Lawrence

1 Like

(nitpicking) still shorter would be:

pacman -Q linux linux-lts

That’s it! Thanks. I suppose I should have tried that command myself.

I guess using that is about the only way we can actually see what kernel versions are installed on our systems.

Thank you very much.

Lawrence