Sluggish EndeavourOS experience

i sure you no want experience of pay for it … think wife would kill me :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, for that quick experience, quick cash is required…
:rofl: :rofl:
And if I do it, then I will be Only Slightly Insane !!!

2 Likes

Germany …

I have EndeavourOS on rocket fuel! Not sluggish! :rocketa_purple:

1 Like
$ speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from M247 Ltd (xx.xxx.103.116)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by xxx
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 79.19 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 8.87 Mbit/s

:turtle:

PING ms

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

@joekamprad , @pebcak , @Elloquin

It looks like we all have sluggish experience, with @PhoenixAwakened having most sluggish experience, and @ricklinux with most dynamic ( least Sluggish ) experience !!

Let’s see who can dethrone @PhoenixAwakened and @ricklinux from their level of sluggishness…
:joy: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That is as weird as they come.

But I know that Manjaro has a couple of unique patches

All one can do is get the best out of your available physical system resource. 4 GB RAM and old-ish CPU with iGPU. I’ve been using Plasma with that hardware without much problems. Just have to be mindful of a few things.

Try not to open a million browser tabs at once. Don’t use Browser and Gimp/Digikam or other resource-heavy apps at the same time. Set swappiness to 10 and always setup a swap. Try zen kernel.

Not surprisingly, most resource-intensive apps are Web browsers, video/image editing software etc. In terms of Browsers, Palemoon is lightweight. I use Firefox after going bonkers on config. :smiley:

P.S. Antix would be my recommendation for old hardware. But of course, Arch or vanilla Debian are great choices as well if you’re familiar with them.

Why? I have no issues with Firefox.

You think your connection is slow… check mine at work:

:scream:

Oh, now the problem is that my CPU can’t go above the base clock (2.5 GHz) :man_facepalming:
(I have enabled Turbo boost beforehand)

Yes, I have set swappiness to 10 and I also researched and learned that zram has better performance than regular swap. Do you think I should try setting up zram?

So you still work in 1997?? That’s wild.

1 Like

If you have 16 gb or more ram, zram is better than regular swap. Even with less ram, zram gives improved performance.

1 Like

1 Like

Absolutely! I even notice a difference when I have only my home directory instead of on the SSD, on the data HDD. Thus, the .config files are all on a slow HDD with only 5400 rpm and I notice that in the significantly slowed system startup. Everything on SSD and the box runs again!

I am very, very, very sluggish especially in the morning … :yawning_face: