I’m running Endeavour with KDE. I’m using a Archer T2U Plus dongle to connect to my Wi-Fi network. I have experienced unreliable connections since long ago. Observable behaviour:
2.4Ghz: very slow speeds, connection periodically drops, then reconnects
5Ghz: network does not show most of the time. When it does, computer rarely connects. Most of the time it won’t connect at all and bounce back to 2.4Ghz, sometimes not even that and I have to reboot to get it to reconnect to a network.
I have a Windows partition. These behaviours are not reproducible on Windows (e.g. 5Ghz shows on boot, can easily connect with a stable connection)
I have done some basic troubleshooting:
Wi-Fi router is located right outside my door, 3 meters away
Symptoms remain unchanged after trying both drivers.
rtl88au-dkms-git: 2.4Ghz remains slow, 1/10th of my network speed. 5Ghz does not show at boot. Once it showed, I’m prompted for the password, which rejects despite being correct.
rtl88xxau-aircrack-dkms-git: unusable. No connection to either network. Interface became unresponsive after a few minutes.
I have reverted back to the original driver, which gave me the best performance. Additional observation: when connecting to a network, it takes 40 seconds or more to configure interface (Message: “Configuring interface…”) before establishing or dropping connection.
As an additional test, I have a ThinkPad T480 with a fresher Endeavour install. Its able to connect to both networks after boot, easily switching between them with a stable connection.
The information on that link is incorrect. It is a RTL8821au chipset. The output of lsusb confirms it:
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 2357:0120 TP-Link Archer T2U PLUS [RTL8821AU]
I did the experiment with my ThinkPad. I disabled the internal Wi-Fi receiver and tested the dongle on it. Both morrownr’s driver and rtl8821au-dkms-git package from AUR yielded good results. Therefore, I do not believe it’s a driver issue, but rather a misconfiguration somewhere in my desktop computer. The problem hasn’t always been present, and the dongle has worked without a hitch before.
If I can’t find any solutions, I will opt to re-install the whole OS.
Note: Disabling MAC address randomization may be needed to get (stable) link connection and/or networks that restrict devices based on their MAC Address or have a limit network capacity.
I turned off MAC randomization for NetworkManager. I have a stable connection on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks consistently after rebooting several times, the latter network showing right after boot. Strangely enough, my network does not have filtering enabled. This wasn’t an issue on the ThinkPad with the dongle. Whatever the reason may be, it doesn’t warrant further investigation, I’m satisfied now.