Slick-greeter or Calamares is breaking non-English systems

I installed EOS bspwm edition, using Greek locale and keyboard in Calamares.
Calamares installs /etc/default/{keyboard,locale} and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf, with settings that Arch and systemd keep at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf and /etc/{locale,vconsole}.conf.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf was correctly populated with both us,gr layouts, while /etc/default/keyboard had only gr layout.
Slick-greeter seems that it is reading /etc/default/keyboard only, leading to inability for keyboard layout switch, thus I could not switch to English to type my password.

Until I realize the issue, my quick solution was to replace lightdm with sddm, using TTY, where keyboards were working correctly.

SDDM worked as expected OOTB.

Non-English locale/keyboard systems will have problems (if they don’t already) with slick-greeter, since Archwiki instructions do not mention any locale/keyboard settings in /etc/default/. If a user changes locale/keyboard settings after installation, the DM does not follow. In my case, it was stuck to the Greek keyboard, without the toggle switch working. It is a slick-greeter known bug.

I haven’t tested if it will work after deleting those /etc/default/ files, although I suspect it will not (due to some error messages).

I would suggest switching to SDDM or other option, that would behave adequately for non-English/multi-locale systems.

Speaking about multiple keyboard layouts,

• the proper vconsole settings for non-latin systems would be:
KEYMAP=us  # Primary layout
KEYMAP_TOGGLE=gr  # Secondary layout, with toggle switch
FONT=eurlatgr  # Safe font for Greek, cyrillic and others (better than square blocks...)
  • proper local/user settings for locale setting is using $HOME/.config/locale.conf with user preferences, relevant to /etc/locale.conf and adding this in $HOME/.bashrc (or other shellrc)
unset LANG  # reset, because it cannot change while is already set
source /etc/profile.d/locale.sh

According to Archwiki

Using Calamares is not foolproof (at all!). Why not adapting one of the many CLI installers, that can be hacked way more easilly?

1 Like

You know why. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes