Sleep function works, no Graphics Waking Up

I’m having sporadic issues with my system after I wake the system up again. The sleep feature works well most of the time, but one out of ten times, the computer comes back with no display.

I checked for the usual culprits, HDMI cables working on both ends, plugged in correctly. I turned off and on the monitor, even used its automatic detection settings that say no signal.

I’m not sure if it’s the card or the system. I’ve had that issue even before the wayland upgrade.

Any thoughts as to where I should start to look?

Thanks

What’s your graphics card?

It’s an AMD Radion RX 480. Tx

Try Ctrl + alt + f3 and then Ctrl + alt + f2 to toggle tty. Might provide a temporary solution.

Thanks., I assume when it’s on sleep mode, correct?

Yeah, whenever you are in that situation where the display doesn’t come back.

Thanks, I’ll do that next time. I assume the AMD driver isn’t super great and AMD isn’t working terribly closely with the opensource industry.

Normally the opposite is true. How old is the card?

Shoot, 2016. My computer is 8 years young. Darn Linux, you hide the hardware years well :slight_smile:

I do wonder what the state of the amd driver is for older hardware. I’m not equipped to recognize a hardware problem.

1 Like

I’ve had similar problems with my old AMD RX 480 and current AMD RX 6700XT. It seems to not happen if I shake my mouse while waking up from sleep. If it does happen it often resolves by unplugging the displayport cable from the gpu and plugging back in.

Out of curiosity did you add the kernel parameter amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff to enable overclocking the gpu?

Interesting, I tried jiggling the mouses but nothing happens. I tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable and still nothing. I was left with power and reboot, hoping I wouldn’t lose anything.

I’m not sure where I can edit and put: “amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff”

Happy to learn :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, I jiggle the mouse while it’s waking up. Shaking it after it’s woken up with no display doesn’t work. But I have had it once recently where unplugging and replugging didn’t work either.

If you ever have to power off to reset I would suggest you enable REISUB and use that if you haven’t done so yet. See here: [Tip] Enable Magic SysRq Key (REISUB)

I asked about “amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff” because I’ve had it enabled but I recently read on the arch wiki that it “may enable unstable features that cause problems such as screen flicker or broken resume from suspend.” (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Boot_parameter) But if you haven’t added it then it shouldn’t be the problem.

Wow, thanks for the clarification and good to know. I’m not overclocking anything, at least, not anymore.

Damn, it didn’t work. I suspect either the card is old, the system is getting older, or I don’t know what the hell is going on anywhere. Damn and triple flipping damn!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.