Single boot from now on

Having dual-booted with Ubuntu MATE, and then trying Solus, I got kernel panics after rebooting from the other OS when starting EndeavourOS, and Manjaro before that.

So…I booted a live session, deleted the second partition, and increased /home by that amount; it said “2:30 until complettion.” It finished after 5 1/2 hours :frowning_face:.

So, I installed EndeavourOS exclusively, and I am staying here.

3 Likes

My experience has been that between Manjaro and EndeavourOS, after running
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and then
sudo grub-install /dev/ (your boot partition)

if Manjaro is the primary, it will allow EndeavourOS to boot from grub
if EndeavourOS us the primary, Manjaro will NOT boot from grub

Thanks; I learn something new every day. I’m not interested in dual-booting any more, but your post may well help somebody else.

And that is what this great forum is for! :heart_eyes:

Actually that is going to change with the next EndeavourOS ISO!
The new ISO will fix the the grub issue with dual and multi boot. :smile:

4 Likes

Grand news, but I have found the perfect distro for me. Debian, never again.

Like a lot of people, I was afraid of Arch, its complicated installation, the bad and verified nastiness of some Arch forum users. I moved to Manjaro and fell in love with the Arch way. I had heard of EOS being the successor to the much-praised Antergos, so I gave it a spin. It’s a damn near perfect Arch system, and I am even more in love.

4 Likes

very welcome news to hear, Manuel.

One question regarding such a change: will a fresh install be required or can an installed EndeavourOS be modified?

@garybean
Fresh install is not required. To fix an existing install, the following commands should do it:

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -S grub-tools
sudo pacman -S grub os-prober
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
reboot
1 Like

I’m looking forward to this ability. I’m assuming this will alleviate the dreaded kernel panic that also sometimes happens dual booting with another distro?

Probably. Of course it depends on why the kernel panic happens, but this surely is one of the reasons.