Single boot from now on

Having dual-booted with Ubuntu MATE, and then trying Solus, I got kernel panics after rebooting from the other OS when starting EndeavourOS, and Manjaro before that.

So…I booted a live session, deleted the second partition, and increased /home by that amount; it said “2:30 until complettion.” It finished after 5 1/2 hours :frowning_face:.

So, I installed EndeavourOS exclusively, and I am staying here.

4 Likes

My experience has been that between Manjaro and EndeavourOS, after running
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and then
sudo grub-install /dev/ (your boot partition)

if Manjaro is the primary, it will allow EndeavourOS to boot from grub
if EndeavourOS us the primary, Manjaro will NOT boot from grub

Thanks; I learn something new every day. I’m not interested in dual-booting any more, but your post may well help somebody else.

And that is what this great forum is for! :heart_eyes:

Actually that is going to change with the next EndeavourOS ISO!
The new ISO will fix the the grub issue with dual and multi boot. :smile:

4 Likes

Grand news, but I have found the perfect distro for me. Debian, never again.

Like a lot of people, I was afraid of Arch, its complicated installation, the bad and verified nastiness of some Arch forum users. I moved to Manjaro and fell in love with the Arch way. I had heard of EOS being the successor to the much-praised Antergos, so I gave it a spin. It’s a damn near perfect Arch system, and I am even more in love.

4 Likes

very welcome news to hear, Manuel.

One question regarding such a change: will a fresh install be required or can an installed EndeavourOS be modified?

@garybean
Fresh install is not required. To fix an existing install, the following commands should do it:

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -S grub-tools
sudo pacman -S grub os-prober
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
reboot
1 Like

I’m looking forward to this ability. I’m assuming this will alleviate the dreaded kernel panic that also sometimes happens dual booting with another distro?

1 Like

Probably. Of course it depends on why the kernel panic happens, but this surely is one of the reasons.

1 Like