Should Linux Be More Convenient For Everyone?

peak customer service

1 Like

A good/ideal TUI would too.

Where’s my GUI? Pretty soon I’m going to go terminal! :rofl:

5 Likes

I have to say I strongly disagree this position. Far too many people are throwing away perfectly good and usable hardware because “their previous [proprietary] OS is now slow because their hardware is older” or “the previous OS will no longer receive update”. This is not just economically wasteful, it is damaging to the environment.

I don’t care if someone asks “dumb/n00b questions” or seems confused about a feature available on Windows/Mac being available on Linux. They have made an effort to break with the dominant ideology of planned obsolescence and this should be encouraged.

A big difference between Windows and Linux is that when I was on Windows 10 (with an office 365 professional subscription), I could raise a support ticket and someone from Microsoft would actively solve my IT problem. Part of the reason this was necessary is that Windows is closed source and difficult for the end user to practically debug and fix. But I would like it if more mainstream distros like Ubuntu would offer optional support contracts to desktop users (correct me if I’m wrong, but this is typically only available to enterprise users). This would be helpful to my elderly father, for example, who relies on me to “fix” his laptop every few months. As I have a full time job, I often cannot assist him for days at a time.

Beyond that, I think more user-friendly GUI package/update managers would be of assistance to less tech-savvy users.

It seems you chose to focus on ONLY one part of that post, so let me quote myself from the same post.

However, I used to be a person whose device got slow, and I started using Linux as a result, and it took me some years to use Linux for the correct reasons.

So, in the same breath, like I said, they might have a ripple effect that brings in more software. So, I think we should bear with them. There will always be people who don’t care about anything but convenience.

Both opposition and acceptance in the same post.

I’m developing things i consider more important, fstab is not a hindrance to me anymore, i already had to ‘deal with it’ enough times.

Well sure, a TUI is basically just a keyboard only GUI. GUIs are better, but TUIs are ok too.

1 Like

Yep. Basically did this.

I installed Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, it’s a niche game. And then I remembered this.

I posted this 2 years ago, and the problem, it’s still there.

I installed windows, installed steam, installed the game, clicked play. Done.

No need tinkering, no need modifying files, no need to typing stuff on my terminal.

People come to Linux for various thing, and Linux must accommodate all these thing in order to be a viable choice. Linus Torvalds know this, folk on Valve know this and people who worked on most popular distros know this.

Linux is no longer for a hobbyist - it’s should and must be for everyone, regardless of the reason why they came here for the first time.

I mentioned gaming, because I am sure it is the biggest reason currently why the adoption rates are increasing, it’s not because most of them believe in “Free Software”, not because they Paranoid over Privacy. It’s because Gaming.

Gaming made Linux stays relevant in layman’s zeitgeist. Business/Corporate/Government users enables Linux developer put food on their table.

A poor hobbyist cannot feed another poor developer hobbyist, in current system. Development requires funding, and relevancy ease funding.

1 Like

Exactly this.

1 Like

My thoughts on gaming. . . If you want to play games buy a ‘game-boy’ or other gaming device. Computers are much more valuable in what they can provide an individual in terms of work they can accomplish. If gaming is the only issue then your view is myopic. People who buy computers to play games on with Windows have such skewed perspectives. I can think of a thousands of other reasons to use a computer and one of them isn’t playing games.

Rich;)

4 Likes

So all those games that only exist on PCs, people shouldn’t play them?

I mean, yes, the perspectives are skewed to their use case which is gaming. You could say the same things about any other use case though. i.e. “People who buy computers to develop software have such skewed perspectives”

1 Like

I fundamentally disagree with this stance for multiple reasons.

First off, a game console is usually restricted to a controller when it comes to playing a game. Some game genres work great with controllers, some don’t. FPS games require heavy amounts of aim assist to even be half way playable. With a mouse and a keyboard, many games become easier and more enjoyable to play, at least for me.

Second off, there are games that simply aren’t on consoles due to multiple different reasons. Usually console manufacturers produce a console specific for game development purposes. Such consoles are far more expensive and aren’t usually available to a small team or just a guy, making a game.
Indie developers simply don’t have that budget. Developing and releasing games on Steam or Epic Game Store is simply easier and cheaper than for a console.
This isn’t to mention some games simply don’t exist on consoles. Most of Valve’s library of games either isn’t updated anymore, the servers were shut down or they don’t even exist on consoles.

Third off, nothing stops you from buying/downloading games that are older on PC. This expands the library of playable games tenfold. Include emulators for older consoles like the NES, SNES or even newer consoles like the Wii U and you increase the library of playable games tenfold again.

Fourth off, for the cost of a gaming console, you can build a computer that will last about the same as a console generation, if not more depending on your use case and choice of components, and will be able to use that computer for much more than just games and watching Netflix/other streaming services.

A PC for gaming is, personally, a much better proposition than a console. From cost, to games that I can play, to the way I play games, gaming is simply better on a computer and people who buy computers specifically for games don’t have skewed at all.

2 Likes

If you include playing games, you now know of 1001 reasons.

I mean, if you’re gonna spend the money for an awesome computer, I want to get my money out of in and use it for as many things as possible. TV, movies, sports, games, work, photos, forums, etc. It’s all great!

2 Likes

Ok, I guess I over stepped my boundaries. . . , on this one. Technology is only as good a tool as what it can or cannot provide the user with. I don’t game. I have other endeavors that appeal to me. That’s where my focus was on this topic. No argument here for people that like games. Different strokes for different folks. . . . Sorry if I offended anyone.

Rich;)

3 Likes

I doubt you offended anyone. You didn’t offend me, that’s for sure. As you say “different strokes for different folks” and that’s fine. Take it easy lad.

I totally agree with @rich52 comment, while we are shifting away from the topic. We could say a lot about gaming on another topic, if you like.

Just a quick overview.
Gaming has nothing to do with PCs. Why?
They are Personal Computers, as the computers are just machines with an AI that assists a human to do something demanding (compute fast).
Computers’ main scope was/should be a working task/environment. They would be called Working Computers (WCs), like game specific computers should be called GCs.
While WCs and GCs have a clear scope, PCs are an all-in-one machine for a person that want to utilize a computer’s power for his normal personal life, after work. They can do whatever they like with their PC, study, research, work, develop, game, whatever.

OTOH, gaming on PCs are misunderstood from the masses. In the real world, gaming is for children, and that should never happen into a machine, but outside their houses with friends, or inside their houses with friends and family. Electronic gaming is for adults, or grown up people (or they think they are), for a break on their free time, just for some fun. Unfortunately, this is not the case today. Grown-ups game like it is a serious thing, or task. Do poor guys play electronic games? I guess whoever has so much free time to spend on games, is not really poor.

Now, to the real stuff.
Electronic games (in its wrong usage) is a trap. Electronic games position the player in an alternative reality, away of his true life and the everyday difficulties and unsolvable problems. They are trapped inside a beautiful bubble, and they rest their souls for the time. Who has a benefit from that? I won’t answer this now. Think for yourselves.
Instead of people trying to fix their unsolvable problems, they just pause inside a beautiful comforting bubble that whispers them in the ear, “Everything is aaaall right! You are fine! Stay here. I’ve got your back!”
Another reason electronic gaming accomplishes is the advancement of AI. Creating digital fake unreal worlds need a lot of code developing, machine learning and hardware power and electricity. Who do you think are the investors of gaming companies and real consumers of their products? My guess is large corporations, that don’t care of providing happiness to people, rather than trapping them and controlling them.
Too much fantasy? I would like to be a completely fantastic scenario.

More on the truth about gaming in another topic. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ll have to disagree because personal computers are multi-purpose devices. You might use it for a work task during the the week and then in the weekend use it to relax by playing a game after having done your weekly finances administration.

Some people use their work as an escape from problems with their spouse or something else, many things can be used as an escape. Playing a game for a bit to relax doesn’t always mean you are trying to escape something or blowing off some steam in the gym doesn’t mean your are trying to escape something either.

I can’t help but think where technology has done more harm then good but some times it looks that way to me. . . it all started with the advent of television. It’s been great for telemarketing. . . that’s about it. Don’t change that channel. . . stay tuned. . . we are in control of your television set. . . (Outer Limits). . .

Rich;)

1 Like

And your thoughts would be WRONG.

As I’m sure MOST will disagree with @rich52’s view.

I mean, as he said, different strokes for different folks. No issue with not liking video games/preferring other activities.

1 Like