Shopping for a printer

I’ve been searching these forums trying to find which printers seem to work out of the box with EOS. I see a lot of posts getting help on various printers, but are there any printers known to function without hassle? A bunch of reading around on different websites seem to point to maybe HP or Brother, but I thought maybe best to ask our own community.

I will say that I have a very old Dell Photo 966, this thing must be 15-20 years old. I have not tested it, I don’t currently have a USB printer cable, but I imagine it’s a waste of time as it’s likely going to reveal 32-bit issues since it’s that old. :joy:

I have a HP Envy 4570 wireless worked out of the box, but was used so rarely the cartridges dried up :frowning:

So just bought a Brother DCP- L2530DW Mono Laser, also wireless, again works out of the box (though I cheated and used windows to add to network, as I still have an SSD with windows on, to update the bios).

1 Like

HP Officejet Pro 6968 works with no issues.

Note - this is an older printer that I bought 5-7 years ago.

1 Like

Generally, HP printers are very easy to configure with the hplip package. However, I recommend you to buy a second-hand printer, because old equipments are generally better supported than newer ones. I personally have an HP Laserjet P1005 and once I installed the drivers trough the GUI, everything worked.

1 Like

Well, I have an unused instance of Windows installed in Gnome Boxes :joy:

1 Like

@waterbuffalo @elio-in3x it appears HP and Brother just may be the best way to go, I hadn’t considered purchasing a little older but not 15 years older like my Dell. This is very helpful, much appreciated!

some years ago, I bought myself a new printer - and I went with a cheap color-laser-printer that has a network-port.
Reason 1: There is no ink that can dry out. (I only print about 2-3 times per year and ink was almost always dry when I wanted to print …)
Reason 2: Network-printers usually provide the least problems, because they need to speak “standard-language”

I went with a Samsung Xpress C480. (Samsung printers was bought by HP later and the printer was then produced under HP branding)
Getting the printer to work was no issue, every distribution had the right drivers integrated and KDE’s GUI printer manger detected it without problems (printer is connected to my router via a Cat 6 network cable).
It also has a scanner integrated, and getting that to work required installing the driver from the website. I had some problems back on Manjaro, but here on EndeavourOS it worked without problems.
If you go with a printer that can do nothing else, just look for a network port and connect it with that - should be the least trouble and you can use it from every device in your network, even your smartphone or tablet.

https://www.pwg.org/printers/

driverless is the future…

2 Likes

Brother has IPP Everywhere but it is not listed in the URL supplied

Pudge

1 Like

the Samsung C480 mentioned above by me is also connected with IPP and not mentioned on that site

1 Like

If you decide to go with a Brother Printer, before you purchase it check the AUR to see if it has drivers for your model of printer.

As an example, I have a Brother DCP-L2550DW and the AUR has
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-dcp-l2550dw

Pudge

1 Like

https://www.pwg.org/members.html
I think all new brother printers with network do support driverless already… my one too HL-L2350DW series

I have an old Brother multi-function ink-pee (print, copy, scan, fax), model is MFC-250c.
I bought it 13(!) years ago, and it still works great.
Retail price was around $110, back then. Refilled ink cartridges are still to be had for $1.50 each… just saying.
On the vendors driver-page you can get old downloads (deb and rpm), but I got them to work with debtap, even while some pkgs are 32-bit only. :wink:

Also, beware of an upcoming CUPS 3.0 when old cups drivers won’t do it anymore… :v:

Excellent advice, thank you everyone. There are details that I hadn’t thought of, so this is all much appreciated!

1 Like