Services to Disable

I will check the prices and do the calc.
You gave me a good hint.
Thank you.

1 Like

Be sure to check the price per GB. Usually, the larger the capacity, the cheaper per GB.

Pudge

Sure, Thanks for the tip.
Hopefully I will do it soon and install 16GB.
(sorry for late reply)

Installing RAM a bit more generously can never be a waste. You only buy the RAM once, there are no more permanent costs.

2 Likes

Sure. I was just thinking I might not really need or actually use the full 16 GB as I do not do gaming or multimedia editingā€¦
But after the discussion here I decided to make it 16GB, just in case I get naughty sometimes.

I was mainly wondering if it is worth it for an i3

I canā€™t answer that either, since Iā€™ve only been using Plasma for years and at most take a quick look at Xfce in between. However, the browser (Chromium in particular) ensures that the RAM does not rust. And air upwards is always good.

1 Like

Same here. Plasma and Chromium!
So, the 16GB is a fair bet, much better than 8GB.

1 Like

The CPU doesnā€™t matter that much in this case. For example, if you open 100 browser tabs, you are going to be using very little CPU but lots of RAM.

1 Like

Yesā€¦ I noticed that it freezes when I opened multiple tabs, or a few tabs and copying an ISO to a Ventoy USB thumb driveā€¦

But generally I believe this i3 Gen 10 is doing a bit better than my old laptop i5 Gen 3.

I just have a feeling (it is psychological) that i3 is ā€œweakā€ compared to i5 .

1 Like

My workstation is decently powerful but my primary laptop is also an i3. I really donā€™t have any issues with that CPU as long as I donā€™t compile a big piece of software like a browser.

I donā€™t have my laptop in front of me to know the exact CPU but since your CPU is an older one it might be similar.

Same, this is the main laptop I will be using. You just gave me some comfort knowing that I did not make a ā€œwrongā€ decision buying an i3. I just calculated based on my needs, I should not pay more money for a more powerful CPU while what I do is just browsing the internet, reading a PDF, or using a note taking app (cherrytree), maybe LibreOffice.

So, no need for more than i3.

The older (now dead) laptop was i5 3rd Gen. This one is i3 10th Gen. I believe it is doing better than the old i5. (other than RAM shortage as I couldnā€™t find same machine with more RAM)

Yes, I would expect an i3 from 2019 to be faster than an i5 from 2013. There was a pretty big architectural leap in the 8th gen mobile CPUs if memory serves.

1 Like

So for my use case after upgrading to 16GB RAM I will be having a super computer (as compared to the dead 10 years old laptop(s), and as compared to my use case)

I hope this wont ā€œseduceā€ me to be naughty

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.