Self hosted cloud service

I setup a server last year using an older computer. After a couple different tries, I eventually ended up using open media server. It has worked great and has a web based user interface.

I started with next loud, but have since changed to just using shared files to keep things simple.

Nextcloud is running fine with nginx here, would have happily shared my settings but can’t help with Apache I am afraid.
I remember that getting the php part working was a bit of a struggle for me as well. Lot’s of moving parts. Hence maybe Docker may be the better option for you?

In any case, I guess we need a bit more detail to be able to help.

It might be easier, but I wouldn’t call it dead easy, especially in the configuration part (using external DB)

Yes. I am very thankful for help. But for now I have to read a lot first.
I am looking on Docker as well.
Nice to have something to look forward to after work!

brandent

Technically self hosting anything isn’t “dead easy”, that’s why people pay for that sort of service.

If you do something yourself you normally have to put some time, thought, and effort into it.

4 Likes

I don’t know where I will end up!
Do you just use samba or what?

brandent

Yes, Samba. Next loud is great. It gives a lot of function like cloud storage, calendar, notes, and even email. But i wanted to keep it simple so if anything ever happened it would be easier to fix.

For handling making an app like nextcloud public facing take a look at this:
https://blog.linuxserver.io/2020/08/21/introducing-swag/

I use it on my UNRAID server to make jellyfin, nextcloud, qbittorrent and guacamole public facing.

2 Likes

I also recommend Nextcloud, but also want to recommend to double-check if it must be self-hosting. There are a lot of Pros and Cons and at least for my usecase I have decided to better pay a small amount.

1 Like

I think that’s great!
But how do you reach files from outside your network?

brandent

I had planned to do it through vpn, but couldn’t get it to work through the vpn I have setup (Nordvpn), so right now I just have it setup on my home network. Open Media Vault definitely made everything easier to maintain. Even though I am more comfortable in the terminal than when I started, I prefer the web interface.

As others mentioned, there is next cloud. I only use it for calendar syncing though. You can always use one of the cloud providers or set up your own server. For files, I use syncthing which saves a copy on all the computers and phones connected. You can select the folders you want to share on multiple devices. For example I share my school notes on my desktop, laptop and phone, but will only share python scripts between my laptop and my desktop.

1 Like

If it’s for streaming mainly, you can also use Kodi. Very easy to setup.

I am still trying to configure nextcloud. It goes slow. But in the meantime I use Teamviewer. That is an easy solution!
I work as music teacher and musician and I have scores and backgrounds on external disks. Every day I am worried that something will happen to the disks (I drop them or such). Teamviewer works very well for this. I can leave my “valuables” at home connected to an old workstation!
I have never configured anything like nextcloud before and I want to learn how it works. I would actually be happy if I get some part of it working!

brandent

1 Like

WebDAV.
Is mounted at startup via systemd (fstab should also work) just like an internal drive.

1 Like

Yes!
Now! After countless trial/errors I have configured Nextcloud!
I am using an old macmini (4,1 2010) as server with Endevour OS.

I have purchased a domain but I do not know how to connect my domain to my NC-server.
Anyone with a good link or hint?

I thank you for very good support and suggestions!!

brandent

1 Like

I know you are against gdrive but a cheap simple solution to share music/movies is a plex server connected to gdrive via rclone. I have an unlimited gdrive account (edu account $3 if you Google them) and use plex to stream everything. You can connect it to a vps or seedbox if you want to download things as well

1 Like

You need understanding of the domain name system (DNS). Usually the reseller has a control panel for setting up the DNS records…

You also need your ISP to assign a static IP for your connection.

You need to do port forwarding in your router to access the cloud instance.

1 Like

Ok thanks! ISP and domain-reseller are the same in my case!
Port forward to the internal IP of my mac-mini then I guess!?

brandent

Yes - usually 80 and 443.

Beware of the dragons - you need to keep your software patched to avoid vulnerabilities in the chosen web server software and the Next Cloud software.

Next Cloud is php based so you should incorporate blocking of illegitimate request.This is usually done using .htaccess in the webservice root.

You can get a certificate using Let’s Encrypt

1 Like