Segmentation Fault from xfce4-power-manager

So I’m currently using swayWM and trying to launch xfce-power-manager to manage my power. However launching xfce4-power-manager from terminal results in this

** (xfce4-power-manager:5476): WARNING **: 17:13:25.996: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.PowerManagement': no such name

** (xfce4-power-manager:5476): WARNING **: 17:13:25.997: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.PowerManager': no such name

(xfce4-power-manager:5476): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 17:13:25.997: Unable to connect to session manager : Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
[1]    5476 segmentation fault (core dumped)  xfce4-power-manager

I know this problem does occur on wayland displays for GTK apps so I ran xhost + to disable access control but this doesn’t change anything.
Running from a GUI just leaves it hanging. My autostart is also not working
exec_always --no-startup-id xfce4-power-manager
The command does nothing. You don’t need a & don’t worry that’s not the problem. I am also running TLP. I read on the arch wiki that

Only run **one** of these tools to avoid possible conflicts as they all work more or less similarly. Have a look at the [power management category](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Power_management) to get an overview on what power management options exist in Arch Linux.

But xfce-power-manager can’t do what TLP does and TLP can’t do some of the stuff that xfce4-power-manager can, so how do they conflit?

Disabled TLP and tried again. Same result

How are you running Xfce under Wayland?

segfaults also occur when package versions are misaligned (i.e. you have a “partial upgrade”) so make sure you’re fully up-to-date.

Ooops sorry probably should have explained better. I’m running swayWM which uses wayland and I want xfce-power-manager as my power-manager. It’ll run under x-wayland I think.

My system is fully updated.

:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
 chaotic-aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 -> Missing AUR Packages:  plymouth-theme-instantos
 there is nothing to do

(I didn’t mean to quote that. Just general information)
This is in my journalctl -p 3 -xb if it means anything?

Subject: Process 893 (xfce4-power-man) dumped core
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░ Documentation: man:core(5)
░░
░░ Process 893 (xfce4-power-man) crashed and dumped core.
░░
░░ This usually indicates a programming error in the crashing program and
░░ should be reported to its vendor as a bug.
Dec 22 19:12:24 aryan-endavourite sudo[1934]: pam_env(sudo:setcred): Unrecognized O>
                                               - ignoring line
Dec 22 19:12:26 aryan-endavourite sudo[1934]: pam_env(sudo:setcred): Unrecognized O>
                                               - ignoring line
Dec 22 19:12:41 aryan-endavourite hp-setup[2025]: hp-setup[2025]: error: No devices>
Dec 22 19:12:41 aryan-endavourite hp-setup[2025]: hp-setup[2025]: error:  HPLIP can>
                                                                  When you are in a>
                                                                   http://hplipopen>
Dec 22 19:12:55 aryan-endavourite hp-setup[2025]: hp-setup[2025]: error: No devices>
Dec 22 19:12:55 aryan-endavourite hp-setup[2025]: hp-setup[2025]: error:  HPLIP can>
                                                                  When you are in a>
                                                                   http://hplipopen>
Dec 22 19:14:19 aryan-endavourite kernel: proc: Bad value for 'hidepid'
Dec 22 19:16:39 aryan-endavourite kernel: proc: Bad value for 'hidepid'
Dec 22 19:32:18 aryan-endavourite kernel: proc: Bad value for 'hidepid'
Dec 22 19:33:35 aryan-endavourite kactivitymanagerd[8216]: This application failed >

Available platform plugi>
Dec 22 19:33:35 aryan-endavourite systemd-coredump[8220]: Process 8216 (kactivityma>

Stack trace of thread 821>
                                                          #0  0x00007f4c10f5f615 ra>
                                                          #1  0x00007f4c10f48862 ab>
                                                          #2  0x00007f4c1135a9ac _Z>
                                                          #3  0x00007f4c11acc646 _Z>
                                                          #4  0x00007f4c11accae1 _Z>
                                                          #5  0x00007f4c115866d6 _Z>
                                                          #6  0x00007f4c11acfb20 _Z>
                                                          #7  0x00007f4c121ca6aa _Z>
                                                          #8  0x000055d9bc9825ef n/>
                                                          #9  0x000055d9bc97f09f n/>
                                                          #10 0x00007f4c10f4a152 __>
                                                          #11 0x000055d9bc97f2ae _s>

Are you sure this will work? e.g. are you basing this on something?

Well it worked before on my last install and also many pppls sway dotfiles do autostart power manager

Also, your output is truncated at the right. Use --no-pager if you’re going to copy-paste it somewhere.

Oh sorry.:frowning: neither xfce or mate power manager launch for me and they both show the same error.Would there be something wrong with the way updated?The same problem occurs on plasma so its not a wayland problem.i haven’t got my laptop atm.But I feel like it would be a good idea to read the arch wiki and work back from my updates?

Follwing some stuff of the stuff on the arch wiki with un-updating worked a treat!! I shall now only update with yay and not pamac!

So what specifically was the cause?

A partial update of GTK and glib-git, i think.The latter unstable version was not up to date because pamac didn’t update depencies outside of the official repositories. It works fine now. I didn’t allow AUR on pamac.

1 Like

Ah yes, that would indeed make sense.

1 Like