Saying goodbye

After I have tried Endevouros a couple of months I have decided to say goodbye to the distro, some programs I use seems not to work well and it costs me too much time to find out what is wrong, even in Manjaro it doesn’t work well. I had no other choice than to go back to a Debian based distro, since there it works without any problems. I think Arch based systems are not really my thing.

But I keep an eye on Endeavouros, who knows what the future brings and that I will try it again.

8 Likes

Thank you for giving us a try and also for your feedack in the past months.
In the end it is Linux that unites us all, so enjoy your Linux experience, no matter which distro it is running for you.

9 Likes

could you list them here? so we could see if there is something we could do about them in the future?

And 100 thank’s to try to Endeavour with us!

6 Likes

I am active in 3D virtual worlds, such as Second Life, for that a viewer is needed, but there are alternative opensim worlds where I am more active, and there is a problem that viewers dont always work fine in Arch. To name a few, Firestorm and Singularity. Both dont work properly, depending on the version used. In Debian based distros it all works fine.

I saw from Firestorm version r57588 in the aur, and that one I need, but building it failed, I got this message:

dontTarSelf.Patch…Failed
Error: one or more files did not pass the validity check
Error downloading sources: Firestorm

I am now for more than 10 years active in there, and sometimes I give myself support to newcomers, so for me it is important that I have a good working version. Unfortunately Firestorm-bin 6.3.2 is not working in Opensim, so I cant use that.

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

With Singularity viewer I have even more complex problems, but maybe if I can get that Firestorm to work, that is already a big step for me. Singularity can be looked at later.

thats a validity check sha256 , is not correct. thats why patch failed.?

Did you try the AUR package firestorm-bin?

EDIT: Looks like you did. I need to read more carefully.

solutions not questions, user is on debian now :wink:

I have Endeavouros running in Virtualbox, so can always try things :slight_smile:

So…the fairly awesome thing about that error is that the patch that is failing the validity check isn’t even used. It is commented out. If you remove it from the PKGBUILD there shouldn’t be a problem.

like this
# Maintainer: Justin Jagieniak <justin@jagieniak.net>
# Contributor: Nicky D

pkgname=firestorm
pkgver=r58052.381d04b870a5
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Firestorm is FOSS where you can build & share Virtual Reality (VR) in OpenSim/SecondLife (P2P). Meet people in 3D! Source build."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url=https://www.firestormviewer.org/
license=('LGPL')
depends=(dbus-glib gconf glu gtk2 lib32-libidn lib32-libsndfile lib32-util-linux lib32-zlib libgl libidn libjpeg-turbo libpng libxss libxml2 mesa nss openal sdl vlc zlib)
optdepends=(
  'alsa-lib: for ALSA support'
  'pepper-flash: for inworld Flash support'
  'freealut: for OpenAL support'
  'gstreamer: For video support - may need good, bad and ugly plugins'
  'lib32-libidn11: for voice support'
  'libpulse: for PulseAudio support'
  'mesa-libgl: For Intel, Radeon, Nouveau support'
  'nvidia-libgl: for NVIDIA support'
  'nvidia-utils: for NVIDIA support')
makedepends=('cmake' 'gcc' 'python2-virtualenv' 'python2-pip' 'mercurial')
conflicts=('firestorm-bin' 'firestorm-beta' 'firestorm-nightly')
provides=('firestorm')

source=("$pkgname"::'hg+https://hg.firestormviewer.org/phoenix-firestorm-release' 'autovars' 'firestorm.desktop' 'firestorm.launcher')
md5sums=('SKIP' '7245883fbdba303d4f827f60907574c6' '5e3dade65948533ff8412da776029179' '3daa9e24492337e62bcac318df4ab370')

pkgver() {
	cd "$pkgname"
	printf "r%s.%s" "$(hg identify -n)" "$(hg identify -i)"
}

prepare() {
	virtualenv2 "$pkgname"
	export AUTOBUILD_VARIABLES_FILE="$srcdir/autovars"

cd "$pkgname"
	source bin/activate
	pip install --upgrade autobuild

autobuild configure -A 64 -c ReleaseFS_open -- -DLL_TESTS:BOOL=FALSE
#    cd indra/newview
#	patch -Np0 -i "$srcdir/dontTarSelf.patch"
}

build() {
    export AUTOBUILD_VARIABLES_FILE="$srcdir/autovars"
    cd "$pkgname"
    source bin/activate

autobuild build -A 64 -c ReleaseFS_open -- -Dchan=Linux
}

package() {
    mkdir -p "$pkgdir/opt"
    mkdir -p "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications"

mv "$pkgname/build-linux-x86_64/newview/packaged" "$pkgdir/opt/firestorm"

install -Dm644 "firestorm.desktop" "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/firestorm.desktop"
    install -Dm755 "firestorm.launcher" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/firestorm"
}

I have it building now, I will let you know if it completes successfully.

2 Likes

Thanks dalto, much appreciated.

The problem is reported in september already:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firestorm/

I’m just building firestorm-nightly, and it goes much further than firestorm.
Build is not complete yet…

I am at about 60% on firestorm but I am building on a single core in a VM so it is fairly slow.

Still at 40% …

here broe it off, reason some build space :slight_smile: and not in vm…hmm nevermind :slight_smile:

I got it to build but the install failed.

The package() function probably needs to be redone to match the current release.

All viewers you mentioned work fine here.
J.

Which version ?

There is a difference in Second life and so called Opensim grids. For Second Life both latest versions (Firestorm 6.3.2 and Singularityviewer 1.8.9.8338) work fine. The problem is opensim, for that I need older versions of the viewer, and they dont work properly in Arch.

What version of Firestorm do you need for that?

there also comes a time that older dont work , since its based on older 2.7 python so newer must come in

Well, I got both to work, finally, with some work around, it doesn’t work perfectly, but I can login with the viewers, and that is the most important thing. There are some more viewers existing, which are not in the aur, will test them out too.

So maybe it is not a Goodbye after all, might consider of re-installing Endeavouros again tomorrow. :slight_smile:

6 Likes