Ryzen or not to Ryzen?

I recently had to spend nearly a full day CPU transcoding 600GB of video simply because i didnt have a decent hardware encoder that i could use. You can AMDs decent h265 but handbrake doesnt like to unlike NVENC or Quicksync which has no issues. thei h264 is absolute garbage and even the h265 isnt great without using AMF.

Deep Link… That sounds good doesn’t?

1 Like

it really does, i wont be getting an intel system any time soon unfortunately but ARC gpu for sure lol

1 Like

I used to be an early adopter, but have been burned too many times to ever recommend it any more. DDR 5 is quite a bit more cost-prohibitive than the current generation of ram.

1 Like

My opinion is Intel ARC isn’t that great. They are going to get crushed by AMD. :rofl:

That is why I bought a B550 (end of career) last year… safest choice
If you go for an Intel 12th gen, go for DDR4 and look carefully the QVL to buy a supported memory.

As far as I’m aware, XMP is not working correctly…

1 Like

I also buy at end of the model year for any current generation equipment or buy at a pre-Black-Friday event; I’ve saved a couple hundred dollars on recently released equipment that way.

1 Like

except you dont have enough information to form that option :stuck_out_tongue:

and this entirely depends on wt youre looking for in a GPU, i have no doubt that intel is going to come out swinging when it comes to compute and encoding which AMD is leader in neither.

Lets keep in mind that while AMD does fine they are a far and distant second to NVIDIA across the board except for rasterization performance which they excel. Intel isnt looking to compete with AMD as much as Nvidia.

I agree, maybe not wait for AM5, let DDR5 ride for a couple years and get a grade A DDR4 system till then.

I would recommend buying CPU and GPU after at least 1 year release until Linux Kernel supports them well. Do not immediately buy extremely new generation of hardware, useless if you do not know when Linux Kernel supports it.

if you can ,5700g :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks. I did look at the 5700G. I will give it a bit more thought. I am not sure that I can justify this cpu for a family rig. I am planning on upgrading my ‘test’ rig next year…so maybe then…

Did you watch this?

2 Likes

1 not before Q4 2022 ,
2 no price
3 not all DDR5 …

So far it’s a dismal failure of release dates and poor results. I won’t hold my breath.

Hm, I think there isn’t going to be a DDR4 version like Intel did…

There is a little * for the PCI-E 5.0, which I suppose is that not all motherboards will be PCI-E 5.0, maybe some mobo manufactures will have a PCI-E 4.0 version with lower prices…

It says this. AMD confirmed that X670E (Extreme) is designed for “Unparalleled Capability and Extreme Overclocking”. It is designed to offer PCIe Gen5 ‘everywhere’. On the other hand we have X670 for “Enthusiasts Overclocking” with Gen5 storage support and optionally graphics. The mainstream platform based on B650 chipset will support PCIe Gen5 for storage only.

Edit: As you said i also read this too.

However, all X670E motherboards must offer PCIe 5.0 connectivity to both the GPU and the M.2 NVMe SSD slot or possibly slots, whereas X670 based motherboards can use PCIe 4.0 instead […]".

:thinking:

Edit2: I guess some motherboard manufacturers could opt for Pci-E 4.0 on the graphics depending on the layout of the board.

1 Like

The A370m already competes with other entry level GPUs

The A370m is targeting the GTX3050 is right in line if not slightly better. Intel’s roll out has been odd and slow, but the product is looking solid.

I think its unlikely we will see pcie4.0 on any x670 board but that depends on the price of the chip I suppose. If its seen as more “premium” and the die is more expensive it’ll likely be pcie 5 x670& extreme then pcie4 across b650.

Tbh B650 looks far more attractive as a platform. You don’t sacrifice any storage speed and your GPU can’t saturate PCIE4 anyway so its a win win, cheaper and all the goodies. If B650 boards are even close to B550 ones the top end of that range will be equal or better than top x670

Lisa Su is the best to present stuff…
I can’t see a better choice for that job.