Ryzen or not to Ryzen?

Just wondering how many people are using Ryzen with the latest motherboards and Nvidia graphic cards? I’d like to upgrade. . .is it worth the effort? Or should I wait for the next developmental release from AMD? I’m not a gamer by any means but do these new processors multitask better when you have several programs up and running in the background? Just wondering. . . what peoples thoughts are. I’m running a 8350 AMD 8-core processor and 16-gig ram ( an old system by most standards). Replacement parts (i.e. motherboards) are hard to find for AM3 systems I think. What does everyone think? Just wondering. . . .

Rich :slight_smile:

You have been waiting so long to upgrade that I would wait a little longer just to see AM5…
Intel is also coming with new CPUs soon…

Just keep in mind that AM5 will be a new chipset and everything… Usually newer things are always problematic…
RAM compatibility issues and etc…

But in the end, that is your choice of course, cutting edge or a more stable and cheaper thing…

1 Like

I’ve been loving my Ryzen systems (one with integrated graphics, and one not) but never any nVidia - so I can’t help with that detail!

I tend to buy just behind the latest when I get something, as the price drop is significant, but I still get a few happy years out of them. So - IF I were to go full boat, I would go with the NEW AMD stuff, but it will be even better in a year’s time (or so)…

(typical cheap Linux guy - I only pay for the good stuff, like EndeavourOS - and certain packages I actually use a lot)

3 Likes

I am curently running a Ryzen 7 5800x with 64GB RAM, a Samsung 980 PRO Nvme, and a AMD 5600XT Graphics card. My situation was basically forced by the fact I wanted to play modern games on Steam, and my old AMD FX8350 and the Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard choked out any modern card with the PCIE 2.0. So time to upgrade. Even if you upgrade now you are jumping 2 versions in PCIE and the current processors are roughly 4x faster. I wne tform playing Cyberpunk 2077 with bare minimum graphics, to maxing out the graphics options and completely crushing it on FPS.

Avoid the NVIDIA card unless you feel like wasting time every month getting it to work right. Base your choice to upgrade on need and price. You could wait for AM5, but then add a year for all the buggy crap to work itself out. You can buy a 5000 series processor now, and chances are it will carry you through for a good 5-8 years anyway. Always buy for need.

The only way I’d use Nvidia is if someone gifted it to me.

1 Like

I am just about to buy the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G.
I am not a gamer
My current ‘family rig’ is 10 years old and in need of an upgrade.
From what I read the Ryzen 5 is at a great performance/price point…and the price has recently dropped on Amazon(DE)

*Asus ROG Strix B550-F
*Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB
*Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0
*Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler

Building soon…

3 Likes

Then I give the card forward …

1 Like

I’m not sure I dislike someone that much honestly.

1 Like

Ryzen is the way to go as far as I’m concerned with AMD graphics.

1 Like

Intel ARC was released three years ago…
Oh wait, two years ago…
Oh wait, last year…
Oh wait, two months ago?
Oh wait… :joy:

Never heard of it! :rofl:

Edit: Seriously… i haven’t.

It seems that its out now, but only in South Korea…
It can do AV1 encoding, its nice to have a new player in the GPU world, lets see…

Is it better than Intel Iris? That isn’t very good. :grin:

I don’t know how it performs… But according to Intel, its a GPU able to compete with the AMD/Nvidia low-end…

Intel ARC should a new rival to Nvidia and AMD graphics, according to some magazines.
It will be interesting to see how Intel manages in the competition.

The new mobile APUs from AMD will have RDNA2…

I wouldn’t bet the horse on it. :wink:

if youre on a budget the i5 12400 is honestly the best budget CPU vs Ryzen. If not on a budget the 5700x or 5900x are the best offerings as the 5800x and 5950x cost a bit too much vs what they offer and anything from intel over the 12600K isnt worth getting tbh.

Ryzen is fine enough, but its not the end all be all and depend entirely on what you want in a system. If i was to build again Id probably go with an intel CPU as i miss the quicksync features and that theyre less picky with RAM. My 5600x and future 5700x are/will both be amazing but intel has some nice comforts that for some are hard to deny.

Ill be getting an Arc GPU based on its encoder alone, AMD has dropped the ball for the last decade on their encoders vs intel/nvidia.

Intel is working in a way to use the discrete GPU along with the integrated GPU for encoding…
pcworld has interviewed an Intel engineer…
For streaming or working with video Intel is indeed the way to go

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/look-out-nvidia-and-amd-intels-arc-graphic-chips-are-getting-closer-to-launch