(at release, not true now) Ryzen 7000..Good Performance, Poor Value

all results tests from phoronix

https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryz … 950x-linux

specific result AVX512 between ZEN4 and Intel 13th

and about mitigation on Zen 4

1 Like

Most systems will beat the crap out of a 2700x for power and performance now :stuck_out_tongue: AMD and Intel have come a decent way since AMD got the ball rolling again.

I would argue that the i5 13600K flat out beats Everything below the 7900x at the moment (unless youre doing AI then 7000 it is). Its price/performance/Power consumption are all very good with great motherboard options. That said the landscape has changed just a bit for AMD over the past 2 months. They now have reasonably prices boards with the B650 ones being out now. This makes the motherboard choice MUCH better but the 13600k kinda dunks on the 7600x for price/performance but if you have to pinch pennies on power the 7600x might be better. The 13600k vs 7700x is tough, the 7700x does have a bit better power consumption but its also 100$ more and slower. Intel and AMD are really battling it out on the mid range at the moment. The low end currently doesnt exist for either of them though so super budget buyers can just kick sand.

If it gets you what you want awesome :grin: The problem though isnt the price of the CPUs, or the price of the motherboards per say. It was at the time that AMD launched with absolutely nothing in the budget segment on a fresh version of DDR with DDR5 which which all compounded to make Ryzen 7000 poor value at launch unless youre replacing a much older system.

Well that’s pretty cool!

better is coming
in AVX512 , new release GCC will offers functions on string ,
and wait IBRS full auto result

2 Likes

Linus (linux linus) was at one point calling AVX 512 a waste of time/power or something at some point right? lol

AMD flat out spanks intel on AVX512 right now and AI workloads, its pretty funny that as intel drops it from consumer systems AMD adds it and does it way better.

I am currently using 65Watt Eco Mode - I don’t bother with undervolting or other manual throttling. I only activated ECO mode, because several benchmarks said it only costs 10% performance but significantly reduces power consumption and heat generation.
CPU won’t even reach 70°C in Games here anymore while still rocking solid performance - and that with the air cooler I linked above. Today was the first time I had to heat my living room because the computer couldn’t generate enough heat (upgraded the system yesterday)

I have read those, it was part of my decision making for the 7000 series.

not if power efficiency is in the mix of things to look for. Intel isn’t great in power efficiency anymore.

But yes, originally I wanted to go with the 12-core 7900X, but after prices appeared I couldn’t find reason to spend another 200€ only for shorter compile times as I compile only once or twice every 2 weeks. Most of the time I use my system for light to medium heavy gaming and browsing or experimenting on new things in Linux.

My plan is to upgrade to a 12- or 16 core R9 9000 or 10000 series, if the socket is supported that long. that’s also why I went with an *E-board, to get PCIe 5 for future-proofing.

1 Like

You realize though that the 7700x vs 13600K are so close in power draw its not worth noting right? You need to look at the actual numbers because sure on the absolute high end they blast power, but so does AMD just not as much. Lets not start skewing views because the Intel vs AMD tribal wars have started again now that AMD is out of the hole.

Power draw with the 7700x and higher is the least of the concerns as if efficiency with power is the concern then 7600x or the 5600x are the absolute best possible buys. I think concerning ourselves with a difference of a hand full of watts under absolute peak load is silly, this is less than a pennies difference in draw and power prices would have to be unusablely high for it to make a meaningful difference. It consumes about 20-25% more power peak but has 30% more threads and performs the same amount better at 100$ less. Intel is fine for efficiency in the mid range and low end, the problem is scaling that up for the high end they eat power for breakfast. The 13900k is awful, its around 2-3x the 7950x, that i would absolutely agree with you on.

This on the other hand makes perfect sense, if youre investing into a platform for future upgrades I can 100% agree. Also 7700x is better for AI and AVX512, its not even a contest in those workloads. Talking about power draw though in this situation is silly. AM5 will likely be the better platform as a long term upgrade path and investment if that is at all a concern, Intel is bad for platform longevity.

I think i would use the same cooler i purchased for my 5800X.

nh_d15_1_10

1 Like

Most coolers will be fine its just a matter of what kind of performance you want, NH D15 is decent but afaik higher end AIO and custom loop give it the best results. AMD tweaked things to boost till it hits thermal limit and w.e its at for that limit is the boost frequency. Using PBO you could probably get some fun results with some nice cooling

added 7950x3D

What about M$ Pluton, do they have it like mobile ones?

Not good value because the 5000 series are just as good but less money? My 3800X does very well and i have a 5800X ready to go into a new box.

Well if buying all new getting ryzen 5000 is silly

If upgrading an AM4 platform ryzen 5000 is a no brainer. AMD made Ryzen 5000 too good to justify Ryzen 7000 to existing AM4 owners which hurt it a bit.

Well it’s not silly if you already bought it long ago but haven’t used it yet. It’s expensive enough with 5000 series and i only need couple more parts to complete. Going 7000 series isn’t worth it to me for a number of reasons. I’m not a gamer, the cost is so much higher and i already have parts purchased on occasion when they are on sale.

i literally said that :joy:

Not really upgrading. I bought all the parts a long time ago. Just sitting on the shelve. Waiting for the rest needed. I don’t typically upgrade it’s all new parts.

Unless you’re claiming you bought an entirely separate computer for some reason and have it sitting there collecting dust that’s an upgrade to an existing platform.

If you actually do have an entirely separate build just sitting in boxes collecting dust that’s just silly for different reason.

I bought parts for another computer. Because i can silly or not!

1 Like

If the sale is good enough, it DOES make a certain sense. Plus, of course, once the rest of the ‘right’ parts come on sale, there’s the fun of building it…

I ended up with 3 systems that way over the years - one for everyday - one for testing distros/builds/versions - one for running a couple of mirrors (chaotic-AUR & EnOS). I usually buy ‘behind the curve’, as the prices drop substantially on pretty good hardware that way - but last time I was closer to the current than usual so I haven’t been able to talk myself into a new build yet :grin: However, the return of integrate graphics to decent chip capabilities is starting to tempt me - as soon as PCI 5 ssd’s become a thing :grin:

This is what I have done also buying the next version when the price is right. You are always going to end up with something newer coming out before you get everything but that’s fine with me. The newer stuff always takes a few years before the prices start to drop. Pci-E 5.0 with DDR 5 will be my next thing. :wink:

1 Like