Running programs aren't shown when hovering over panel icons

Hey all!

I don’t know whether I’ve changed something in my panel setup, or if it’s because of an update.
But, for example, If I had two Firefox windows open, when hovering over the Firefox panel icon with my mouse I’d be able to see those two windows and choose between them. As opposed to now, where I only see the name of the application, when hovering over its panel icon - unable to see which of the icon programs are running (unless I press ALT+TAB, of course.)

System details and screenshot are below:

System:
  Kernel: 6.0.6-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.2
    tk: Qt v: 5.15.7 wm: kwin_x11 dm: LightDM
    Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: Strix 15 GL503GE
    v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: GL503GE v: 1.0
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends
    v: GL503GE.319 date: 01/15/2021

d

Are you using more than one workspace? Is the icons only task manager set to show windows from all workspaces?

Only one workspace. And these icons are just widgets on the panel, meaning they’re not on the icons-only task manager.

A slight diversion, but what made you opt for individual widgets rather than using the icons only task manager?

OK, I’ve added some launchers to my panel with the Quicklaunch widget and confirmed the the same behaviour when hovering (i.e. no window previews). However I’ve never used the Qucklaunch widget before so can’t confirm that this is a change from previous behaviour.

Honestly, no specific reason for choosing widgets over icons-only task manager.
And yeah, previously I could see window previews. So it’s probably a change in the latest updates (or I’ve pressed some shortcut combination that disables it.)

Maybe worth checking the KDE forum and subreddit just in case anyone else has had the same issue.

1 Like