RPI-2.7 Install Step 1 mv boot files fails to keep ownership

I am trying to install Endeavour on a different usb Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 128GB drive for another RPI4, but I am now getting the following:

mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2710-rpi-2-b.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2710-rpi-zero-2.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2711-rpi-400.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2711-rpi-cm4.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2837-rpi-3-a-plus.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2837-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bcm2837-rpi-cm3-io3.dtb': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/bootcode.bin': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/cmdline.txt': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/config.txt': Operation not permitted
mv: failed to preserve ownership for 'MP1/fixup4cd.dat': Operation not permitted

Brand new only formatted using AOMEI Partition Wizard and created one large FAT32 partition. Then ran the installer in a Endeavour Apollo VM (which is what I used on the previous install which worked).

I haven’t faced this issue because I haven’t tried installing to a USB drive.
Also for clarity’s sake, are you installing to a microSD or a USB drive?

Can you repeat the process once again and see if the error persists?

It is a usb thumb drive Sandisk Ultra 128GB I have tried three times (granted, I have not formatted the drive with a blank FAT32 partition) and receive the same error each time.

Can you create a gpt table using gparted before the installation and see if the error repeats?

Also, I did a quick web search and it said you can ignore the issue. Can you try and complete the other steps if they work?

I have a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB USB Thumb that I bought for the same reason. The drive is laying on my desk because it didn’t work. Some USB thumb drives are just not any good for this purpose, some are OK.

In case the thumb drive is lost or stolen, some thumb drives manufacturers have done funny things to the drive in the cause of easy encryption. Usually in the first few sectors of the drive. The first few sectors are critical for the USB device to work with the boot loader.

I suggest as part of trouble shooting this problem, install to a micro SD card and see if the install goes OK. If it installs, it has to be the USB Thumb Drive.

If you have a thumb drive from another company, you could try installing to that.

It’s more expensive, but installing to a SSD in an external USB enclosure works the best.

Pudge

EDIT:
You can see here, that even with USB Adapters, some work, some don’t.
Here is Santa’s list of who is naughty or nice.

EDIT 2:
If someone is interested in an USB 3 enclosure for a 2.5" SATA drive, I can recommend this unit. I have two and they both work very well.

1 Like

As for step 1, I did not do that. As for step 2, I continued on and it works. I have XFCE4 up and running on my RPI4 4GB system. However, on both this and my other system, systemd refuses to initialize the swap partition. I created a new topic for this. Thanks!

I’m confused, are you trying to install Linux on a FAT32 partition? If so, that is not going to work.

No, I have found that many times usb thumb drives and microSD cards need to be formatted first before linux (gparted/fdisk/cfdisk) will see them. So I as a habit format the drives first to fat32 and then linux will see it (also windows sometimes). The bash script formats the drive for 1 fat32 partition for the bootloader and 1 partition as a btrfs pool with a home/log/root/cache slice.

It also sets the partition table to gpt.

_partition_RPi4() {
    parted --script -a minimal $DEVICENAME \
    mklabel gpt \
    unit MiB \
    mkpart primary fat32 2MiB 202MiB \
    mkpart primary $FILESYSTEMTYPE 202MiB $DEVICESIZE"MiB" \
    quit
}

$FILESYSTEMTYPE = ext4 or btrfs set by the user in another function

Pudge