Removing Missing Firmware Warnings From mkinitcpio

That one is on purpose because i use rEFInd on triple boot EOS Xfce, Cinnamon & KDE! So i don’t want os-prober putting the other installs in my grub on each! When it boot’s i load from rEFInd icon which boots each from their own grub. I don’t need each to have the others in the grub bootloader as you have to boot it anyway to get to the other installs. So i just load from rEFInd when it boots. Otherwise i have to select it or i guess i could put them in order but what’s the point if I’m using rEFInd?

1 Like

I actually also tried and failed to sort this earlier too. Just done an EndeavourOS resinstall, so I was in the mood to sort things.

here you go:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/grub-dual-booting/2021/07/

I thought I tried that, but it still gave me the warning? Ah. I made it equal to true. Again. That would require me to install superfluous software. I have no other OS’s installed. It’s weird, because you’d assume that if you gave it an explicit value then the warning might go away.

1 Like

It is going to almost impossible to remove all warnings from your install. They aren’t meant to removed. They are often just informational.

My advice is learn to accept them for what they are instead of trying to suppress them.

2 Likes

But now that’s kind of more irritating, as you have stuff you will never need installed.

Like i said more Bloat! :upside_down_face:

Edit: These are just minor little things. To be honest there are probably lots of other firmware files that exist on the system that are not required as they are for other hardware that you may not have. But, they exist and are there for the hardware that may need it.

1 Like

I think this might be something that will just bug me forever.

1 Like

Doesn’t bug me! :rofl:

Edit: You have multiple choices here …go with the flow or?

When you install a package from the AUR there are loads of “notes” that flash by in the terminal. As far as I know a lot of these are just things being mentioned by the devs to comment on the install, whereas a lot is code of course. I prefer seeing all this stuff including pacman warnings in a terminal. When I was a Mac user mainly I had no idea what was happening during an install or an update. Windows is similar I think? As has been mentioned warnings are just a heads up. Errors, now that is where a problem exists. I would rather see the info than fly blind.

The fact is also that some errors are dealt with by the code and doesn’t necessarily mean there is a problem.

Exactly, those things don’t stress me. I think some of those warnings etc are just “cruft” that could be removed but at least it gives a picture of the evolution of an app. For those who understand such things perhaps they are enlightening? That kind of detail is beyond my knowledge.

One way to be rid of the firmware “possibly missing” is to build your own kernel and turn off the CONFIG_ options that reference the “missing” firmware. Finding those options and building a kernel twice a week for maintenance updates is probably not worth the bother.

My therapist tells me this regularly.

I’m just kidding, i don’t have a clue what they say, i don’t listen.

1 Like

Currently I’m suppressing my mkinit errors! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s funny how warnings can be so comforting. I have seen these warnings so many times and for so long that I have accepted them as little signs that all is OK. Now if they suddenly disappeared, that would bother me and I would frantically start digging to find out why.

5 Likes

But from security point of view one would increase an attack surface. Warning is just waning, and if you don’t need those packages just ignore warnings.

1 Like

This one recently popped up on my Arch VM (This hook does not exist in Manjaro, so I assume it would have been okay to remove the hook?)

WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration

I was able to remove it by identifying consolefonts in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/
and entering one of them in vconf.conf as FONT=one of the fonts from that folder

Um…that bug report is from December 2012.

Closed by Dave Reisner (falconindy)
Saturday, 08 December 2012, 02:30 GMT
Reason for closing: Fixed
Additional comments about closing: mkinitcpio-0.12.0-2