Removing Gnome and KDE safely

I installed EOS about 3 years back and chose both Gnome and KDE as my DEs in the installer. However, I immediately switched to i3 and haven’t looked back. I was wondering if there was a way I could safely remove gnome and KDE without breaking my system. I have timeshift enabled with a hook after any Pacman/yay calls for some insurance.

There are lots of ways. All of them require some care. Here is how I would do it.

1. Remove gnome - yay -Rc gnome - Review the list of packages to be removed. If there is anything that you still want, make a note and reinstall it afterwards
  2. Remove plasma - yay -Rc plasma - Review the list of packages to be removed. If there is anything that you still want, make a note and reinstall it afterwards
  3. Clean up orphans - yay -Yc - Review the list of packages to be removed. If there is anything that you still want, mark it as explicitly installed before removing
3 Likes

Thank you dalto, this did the trick for me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.