Remove JACK without removing everything

I installed Jack2 plus a few bridges because I wanted to try filtering audio with VST plugins in Carla. Long story short, I’m finding Jack too complex for my needs and I want to remove it and switch back to just using Pulse. But if I try and remove Jack then it wants to uninstall practically every piece of software that uses sound.

sudo pacman -Rcns jack wants to remove 186 packages, including Firefox.

If I try sudo pacman -R jack then it complains:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

Any advice? I really can’t uninstall and reinstall all those packages that it wants to remove right now since I have work to do. Am I stuck with Jack forever?

Woah, you’re using too hardcore command, avoid -c flag :upside_down_face:

-c, --cascade
Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is recursive
and must be used with care, since it can remove many potentially needed packages.

(c) man pacman

Remove package & unused dependecies

sudo pacman -Rns jack2

Thanks, but it doesn’t resolve the issue:

sudo pacman -Rns jack
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by aubio
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'jack' required by ffmpeg
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by fluidsynth
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by gst-plugins-good
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'jack' required by mplayer
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'jack' required by mpv
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by mpv
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'jack' required by obs-studio
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by portaudio
:: removing jack breaks dependency 'jack' required by pulseaudio-jack

I seem to have installed jack and not jack2 :man_facepalming:

Oh, ok i see - although that’s another problem.

Thing is, probably when you’ve started your system and installed that software - you had jack as dependencies so they’re required if you want to use software listed above, but when you’ve installed jack2 - it became a new “provider” as a package replacement for jack (to not break dependencies for those programs).

So you have 2 options basically:

1. Install jack package and then remove jack2, if you still plan to use all that software (that doesn’t make any sense though, because if you have modern multi-core system jack2 works exactly same as jack, but gives more performance)

2. Remove all above software, if you don’t plan to use it anymore, and remove jack2 / jack

Oh, and if you want to check if you have jack2 installed:

pacman -Qi jack2

P.S. Stuff like mpv and obs-studio doesn’t necessarily use jack for audio output method, but uses it’s libraries for some pro audio stuff, that’s why they’re hard dependencies

Thanks… I’m going to record my class’s lectures first before messing any further with this. Just in case everything stops working! But your suggestions make sense.

1 Like

Think jack is installed by default, I have it installed and I never installed it independently.

Jack(2) being installed doesn’t necessarily mean it is used. You first would have to set up the sever to use it. In addition to that you would need pulseaudio-jack or pipewire-jack in order to add Jack support to your used sound server.
As long as you have not done that, Jack(2) will only occupy a small amount of disk space and will not interfere/interact at all.
A lot of multimedia software has Jack included as a dependency. That doesn’t mean you have to use/set it up.