Remote controlled speakers

okay so this is less of a porblem btu more curisoity if someone can solve this really minor issue.
i bought speakers with a remote controller and the remote only works to change the audio volume, my question is if its possible to get the entire remote working?

here are my stats of mc pc:

Host: 90HU002QGE ideacentre 510-15IC 
Kernel: 5.9.14-arch1-1 
Uptime: 1 hour, 39 mins 
Packages: 975 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.1.4 
Resolution: 2560x1440, 1920x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 4.8.4 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
WM Theme: CBlack (CBlack) 
Theme: CBlack [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Arc-X-D [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: gnome-terminal 
CPU: Intel i5-8400 (6) @ 4.000GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 
Memory: 13919MiB / 23917MiB 

and this is the speaker model:

Not an expert on this - but what else is it SUPPOSED to be able to control? Are any of those functions through the computer? Mine have volume, input source, Bluetooth, and (when Bluetooth) track controls - none of which go through the computer…

the only one i wanted to see if i cant get to work is controlloling music, like the next button or pause and all in the top right corner, the only ones that work currently are the volume and mute.

it doesnt have to be global contrl that work whenever music palys, it it could work with just vlc and or youtube that would be plenty enough (youtube would just be a nice bonus, vlc is what im really after)

IMG_20201231_123937

I guess you have to take a closer look at LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control).

while this does seem to be a step into the right direction this seems to be for more universal remotes as far as i can understand it and not for specific devices and their own remote.
i did try to install it just to make sure but all 3 version i tried failed and so did trying to install it directly instead of the aur.

Just installing will most likely not work. You most likely need to suffer some configuration. As far as I know there is no GUI for this. At least there wasn’t when I used that stuff ages ago.
I’m not at home now, so I can’t be much of a help. I just can give you general advice now.

To make sure I understand, you want to use the remote that came with your speakers to control VLC and other playback programs on your computer?

i sadly cant even install any version

yes i want to use the remote it came with, i tried searching for a solution but literally everything i find is either about general/universal remotes or very unrelated

Looking at your current remote, the player control buttons are used with Bluetooth or USB devices that are connected to your speakers. It is not designed to work with controlling a computer. However, it would be possible to have a Universal remote control not only your speakers but your computer as well.

i see so what im trying to do would be indeed easier if i just got a remote controller and see if i can hook it up to the pc?

2 Likes

Yes. I have done this many times with Home Theater PC’s. It is very easy to do. Something like this would work very well.

The remote in the link is the one I use. It connects to the PC using its own dongle. It will work just fine with Linux without having to install any additional software It has an Air Mouse function, so it can move the mouse pointer around. The buttons on the front work. However, you might have to do some configuration in the Keyboard shortcut settings in Gnome. Real easy stuff. Also, if you flip the remote over, it has a full keyboard on the underside.

Also, that remote is very durable. The two I have in my house have survived the bane of all electronics… young children.

2 Likes

i see,ill see how this is easier with the whole shortcut keyboard thing, ill see if i catn order it someday and see where ill gert to, thank you

1 Like

@AmandaONeill No problem, I am glad that I could help. I changed the link from Aliexpress to Amazon.de.

If you do order one and want help with configuring it, please let me know and I would be glad to help.

1 Like