Reboot Message after Update

I have no problem with rebooting the system after updating when necessary. But when is it truly necessary to reboot? I only ask because I seem to get the Reboot message after nearly every update.

Generally when the kernel, glibc or a systemd package has been updated and when you are using dkms to rebuild a kernel module after the kernel has been updated, so things that are considered core components but I could be forgetting something.

6 Likes

I had taken note of this one-liner that was posted on the forum “once upon a time”:

checkupdates | awk '/ucode/ || /cryptsetup/ || /linux/ || /nvidia/ || /mesa/ || /systemd/ || /wayland/ || /xf86-video/ || /xorg/ { print "Needs reboot."; exit }'

You can run it before you actually perform a system update.

3 Likes

What @Cphusion said there are also cases where you should at least logout and back in like fonts and theming

5 Likes

The worst behavior with updates is when the kernel is updated (and you use modules) or glibc. Most of the rest doesn’t seem to cause any issue to ignore for a while, from my experience.
I am an update-holic, and frequently update during the day. I often don’t want to reboot my machine immediately and cease work flow, even though a reboot takes less than 30 seconds. It takes longer to reopen and adjust windows, and get my mind back in the game :wink:
I may or may not pay any attention to the reboot warning, but I try to launch a VPN and I noticed the wireguard module won’t load whoops.
Actually the most annoying to me (which doesn’t need a reboot…just restart of application) is when FireFox updates and you get a tab crash message. Usually that’s when I have about 20 tabs open (my norm is about 5) and I don’t really want to close them…but I can’t open a new one argh.

1 Like