Random question: How often do you update your packages?

The longest I usually go is probably a couple days unless there’s a package with known issues. Much easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong if there’s only a few packages updated.

1 Like

That’s a good way to think of it, I suspect. The alternative is what I ran into last night on Rolling Rhino (Xubuntu rolling distibution) - I walked into 325 packages! Definitely took more time to see what and why than I wished to spend… Fortunately - no troubles this time - and I won’t leave it 4 days again!

Pacman usually work well though, even with the 100+ updates I occasionally get (gambas tends to throw 80 or so by itself when it updates).

1 Like

It’s Rolling so i constantly check. First thing i do when i start the computer.

2 Likes

Roughly every 10 days or so, after getting burnt out with doing updates (pre-eOS). Run a light system, with no notifs and just tkpacman + terminal check for AUR updates. Much better and get more done, plus I like to balance in stability as much as possible, but do back up a main folder containing a few config backups etc probably once a day, which I’m working on sorting better, as little backups here and there add up.

as soon as they are released and I get the notification. Whats the point of running a cutting edge rolling release If not updating right away?

1 Like

Sometimes there can be significant breakages e.g. kernel/grub recently, and you see reports of this over the first 24-48 hours, but if you’re okay with fixing everything, go for it! :+1:t2:

(included quote, but hasn’t come through in post)

3 Likes

A VERY good idea is to do three things regarding this of course:

1. Implement timeshift or another backup tool to take snapshots. I have my computer take a snapshot every boot (it is only disruptive the very first time you take a snapshot).
  2. Subscribe via an RSS reader to the Arch Linux news page.
  3. Check these forums for news regarding updates.
4 Likes

If you wanna use timeshift , installing EOS with Btrfs is a good idea . Automatic snapshots won’t bother you . They will be created in a sec

2 Likes

I stick with ext4; I was messing around with Btrfs on suse (for obvious reasons) and I find timeshift is just easier to deal with (IMHO, of course). I mean you just schedule it and it runs in the background.
I am going overkill but I have snapshots for the three latest boots, 1 daily and 1 weekly snapshot. Since it only takes incremental backups it’s not really causing any space issues.

Definitely; already doing those 2. Will need to check out Timeshift properly. :+1:t2:

1 Like

There is also a downside to updating packages less often. This is exactly the case on one of my machines, the Opera Developer browser cannot be installed from the AUR because it is not up to date and there is already a newer version on the Opera website. On the other machine I use and update daily, this is not a problem.

Yes, not updating means not updating anything. You definitely, don’t want to install or update anything unless you first do a full update from the repos.

Doing something like only updating one application is a recipe for disaster unless you really know what you are doing.

3 Likes

By that, I just meant that both of the daily-level and less frequent update strategies have their pros and cons. Between the two is the golden mean, which is not easy to find. Anyway, I switched to using rolling release distributions to get fresher packages than in conservative distributions.

I do check for and install updates every Sunday AM. I sit down, sip my coffee, and do the updates, and do my daily check for my emails. Later I will switch to youtube and look at my daily subscriptions.

4 Likes

At least once a day, but if I get a notification that there are updates available, I will do them in the hour mostly.
This is on my desktop. Regarding my laptop I just do it after the desktop as I am more willing to fix issues on my bigger screen than on the GPD Pocket 2 screen :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got 4x Linux distros on 4x different systems. So these last few weeks of having Linux - I’ve been switching between using all 4 for work/gaming/troubleshooting purposes; so each system has been getting uptated at least once in a given week, if not several times, as is the case for my EOS (Elementary and Endeavour) installs.

1 Like

I update once per day only takes a minute

2 Likes

I have a bad habit of checking for updates every time i turn on the computer because i use the welcome app to do it. :smile:

1 Like

Assuming everything goes well.

Thats the main reason why I ask. Updating right before you have to get to work only to find out that a package is causing some issues with one of your tools is never fun.

That’s why btrfs and checkpoints are so awesome :wink:

But yeah, typically I update once per day, or when I’m about to install something new. I’ll also delay updating slightly if I see something in there like glibc or X.org/GNOME or something really large, just to see if there are any reported issues I need to know about.

2 Likes