Random question: How often do you update your packages?

Generally 2-4x per month depending on my work schedule. No notifier for me.

2 Likes

So I actually disabled it, because it was too much, every hour or so I got update notifications, which is why it prompted this post. I just cannot see pending notifications or it will drive me mad.

For me it’s whenever I happen to be using the machine. I may have a bit of a problem with liking to test out hardware, so I have 6 laptops, so they don’t all get turned on every day. Or sometimes every week. Or once in a LONG time they don’t even each get turned on once every month.

Often, as soon as there are some.
:blush:

For me it’s a time function

The rate of change of packages (i.e. Updates ) is directly proportional to the Network speed which is inversely proportional to the time in 24 hours format

Explanation

My network speed tops at 12 AM and decreases after 6AM . So if I am awake in that time I will update for sure , once or twice a day . If I am not then it may take 2-3 days to update (kernel updates or something big )

:grin:

1 Like

Like I see others do - I have dropped notifiers - they are a pain.

I update the system when I install a new package - you know - pacman -Syu pkg.

So mainly I update when I have time to troubleshoot the update - if it goes wrong - I must say - it rarely do.

Years back when I began using Arch I had more issues - so either I have been learning or Arch just got better - or maybe a combo.

@Kresimir I really liked this one

Mogrified
2020-08-25T06:14:00Z EDIT: fix regex (add yay)

#!/usr/bin/env bash
reboot="(ucode|cryptsetup|linux|nvidia|mesa|systemd|wayland|xf86-video|xorg)"
updates=$(checkupdates; yay -Qua)
echo "$updates"
if [[ $updates =~ $reboot ]]; then
    echo "Needs reboot .."
fi
1 Like

When I remember to do it, typically every two or three days.

I check the updates first by running checkupdates; yay -Qua which I have aliased to cu and if something catches my eye and I want it, I run an update. Or before installing any new software.

I don’t use any notifiers.

1 Like

I find that notifiers can be a bit intrusive - so I found a way to have the information constantly displayed. That way there is no intrusive pop-up - and if I want to know, I can check my conky for ‘whether’, and another conky for ‘what’ (scrolling list of ‘available’). To each his own! Actual updates depend on how many, how long since on that distro, and mood!

3 Likes

I would not bet my life on this as a definitive check whether a reboot is necessary after an update. It is likely to have a few false positives and a few false negatives.

But it’s a fairy decent approximation.

I like your changes to the script, and I think I’m going to replace my alias with that. I am only going to change the checkupdates line to this:

updates=$(checkupdates; yay -Qua)

since I’m using Nvidia drivers from the AUR.

1 Like

I check for updates at least twice a day! :blush:

1 Like

Exactly, same here, hence why on Fridays, I don’t want my system to be broken on a monday when I have things to do.

Three or four times a week. I like the smaller updates because:

• in case something goes awry I’ll have less packages/downgrades to test
  • the sometimes needed manual interventions and/or .pacnew-merges are more spread out
1 Like

Never.
And when i do - i do partial updates!

:rofl:

Seriously: ~ Month

4 Likes

I believe the technical term for this is “yolo update” :rofl:

I think it is fairly safe to go up to 6 months without updating on an Arch system. There might be some minor problems and some manual intervention required after not updating for so long, though. And if it is much longer than that, it’s probably just easier to reinstall.

My record is some three months without updating on Manjaro Stable, the “yolo update” was pretty big, but quite uneventful.

3 Likes

I update every day, some days multiple times, including my work machine - living dangerously perhaps - but I haven’t had major issues with that approach from Antergos days.
Well asides from nvidia driver malarkey.
There was a hiccup (nvidia driver related) when 5.8 was deployed, I read this forum on a daily basis and was prepared :slight_smile: and got it working in short while.

2 Likes

I had an old laptop that I hadn’t touched in ~2 years that had Arch on it. I Managed to successfully update it after sorting out the PGP key issues I had but aside from that it was rather uneventful.

3 Likes

But it is a fair check as any of these could potentially require a reboot.

And from the mentioned thread you basically mimicked the Endeavour check - and it aligns nice with my own observations.

On Manjaro I usually recommend doing updates from TTY if the updates include any of these packages - as xorg, systemd and nvidia updates can be challenging if Xorg breaks in the middle of the update process.

2 Likes

My laptop i dont often use only go to the camping i update it before i go, or in 3 a 4 weeks…once i broke it when battery goes out middle in the update but by chrooting fixing it :slight_smile:

for myself dont know sometimes i update directly and sometimes i wait some days. depends whats up coming.

some users does do update wednesday and update saturday , just when they have bit more time in stock. is just our own choice :slight_smile:

3 months jump update can do but you never know what comes in between but a year or 2 is much riky but doesnt tell is not doable :slight_smile: but a pain in the finger to correct it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve done that too, many years ago when I was still using windoze. Unlike Arch, where just updating again in a chroot typically fixes that problem, on windoze that typically means reinstalling everything.

But these are two great lessons to learn: plug your laptop in before updating, and use a normal operating system, not windoze. :wink:

3 Likes

btw to me it haven’t been happening on Manjaro last year, both pamac and pacman now works pretty mature in that regards :slight_smile:

Still good recommendation anyway, just in case for full bulletproof :upside_down_face:

1 Like