Random Plasma crash since 5.26 update

Okay so I have been experiencing weird Plasma crashes since I updated friday to 5.26.0.

What happens:
At a random point, sometimes when I’m not even using my computer actively, the whole system taskbar/notification/menu crashes and doesn’t answer to interraction anymore.
When the “crash” happens, I can still use normally the already-opened applications (can only switch between them with alt+tab though). The taskbar is simply unrespeonsive, and moving windows makes the whole display crash even further (then only my mouse can move and not interract with anything).

It’s a very frustrating bug because even the terminal shows all-black when I try to open it after a crash, so I can’t really do anything besides a forced manual restart.
The one time I managed to have a terminal open before the crash, the following commands worked to “fix” the crash:

killall plasmashell
kstart plasmashell

Which convinced me this is a Plasma bug and not something else. Do you have any idea what I should do to fix this? And/or where should I report this bug if it’s independant from EndeavourOS?

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 6.0.2-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 Gio of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
Manufacturer: TOP ACHAT
Product Name: CUSTOM
System Version: V1

1 Like

I would report it here:
https://bugs.kde.org/

Hi @anon8478

I was going to create a post just now, but your issue is very similar to mine.

I’m working with the laptop and suddenly the plasma environment disappears and only shows on screen what I’m working, but it does not really work well.

What I do is to open connect to the console CTRL+ALT+F2 and restart the laptop.

I have seen a possible solution.

ALT+F2 + sudo systemctl restart display-manager.

My version of KDE:

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 6.0.2-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
CPU - Model: 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1145G7
Graphics: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics].

In case you generate a bug ticket, let me know.

I think, if the problem is with the plasma graphic environment, it happened to more people, didn’t it?

Regards

Not sure it comes from the same problem, so you might want to create a ticket.

What I found is that my crashes come from telegram notifications (no crashes since I turned them off), and my biggest lead so far is the custom emojis. What I understood from the debug is that it caused a QT bug that made Plasma crash.
There was a “QT KDE” update recently and I want to try if the bug disappeared or not, and it case it didn’t I’ll report it directly on telegram’s github.

Unless you have telegram with notifications enabled, it’s very likely not the same problem, sorry.

Same issue here, I opened a bug right away but up to now unable to pin down what’s going on.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460798

Hi Thomas,

Do you get these messages in the journal?

nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 28158, resource id: 17129908, major code: 149 (Unknown), minor code: 4
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 136 (Unknown), sequence: 28159, resource id: 17129909, major code: 148 (Unknown), minor code: 1
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: The X11 connection broke: I/O error (code 1)
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: XIO: fatal IO error 62 (El temporizador llegó al final) on X server “:0”
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: after 3305031 requests (3305031 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME systemd[773]: plasma-kwin_x11.service: Consumed 15min 15.103s CPU time.
░░ Subject: Resources consumed by unit runtime
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░
░░ The unit UNIT completed and consumed the indicated resources.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:256: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:461: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:657: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:911: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1047: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1249: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1451: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1629: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1737: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:1978: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
nov 02 11:35:37 HOSTNAME plasmashell[901]: qt.svg: :303:2221: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.

I think this message is the most important:

nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: The X11 connection broke: I/O error (code 1)
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: XIO: fatal IO error 62 (El temporizador llegó al final) on X server “:0”
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME kwin_x11[837]: after 3305031 requests (3305031 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
nov 02 11:35:36 HOSTNAME systemd[773]: plasma-kwin_x11.service: Consumed 15min 15.103s CPU time.

Regards

Never saw the “Could not add child element…” one, but definitely lots of X11 related ones. Every crash seems to be somewhat different, I haven’t found a pattern yet.

Hello,

I will pay more attention to the messages of plasmashell and kwin_x11.

Regards

Never had any crashes on KDE ever. I run AMD RX 590 not one of the newer cards. Is running on 3800x Ryzen. No issues.

Just had another crash, this time Plasma crashed in the middle of showing a notification.
The bug report is updated with more details https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460798
Let’s hope that helps getting to the bottom of things.

Have you updated to the latest kde plasma 5.26.2
Also the kernel is 6.0.6-arch1-1

Is your UEFI Bios updated?

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

As an update :

• crashes are still occuring in 5.26.2
  • confirmed happening for several people and from notifications with different origins (so it’s a bug on Plasma’s side)

Temporal workaround :

Find out which application is causing the crash and mute its notifications. If you can’t, just mute notifications system-wide.

I have zero issues with KDE Plasma. My dmesg is completely clean. My journalctl logs are clean. Some people having these problems does not make it a bug. It means they have some particular problem with their hardware or software that is being used.

Well, my machine was running without a single issue for years, after 5.26 it crashes once a day. Given that my hardware didn’t change I’d say this is a regression , a bug.

The fact that some people (you :slight_smile: ) don’t have any issues doesn’t mean it can’t be bug?

1 Like

Doesn’t mean you can’t have a hardware or software issue either. If it was a bug one would think that everyone would have the same issue. Just saying. :man_shrugging: I just don’t consider things a bug unless it is a widespread problem. There are many here on Plasma that don’t have random crashes and or reboots etc. I’m sorry you are having this issue. I wish i could help but i just don’t have any issues. But i speak for myself and I’m being honest. I haven’t had a single issue. This also goes for my Xfce dual boot Windows install on my Intel with Nvidia. I have KDE also on two Ryzen laptops and they are the same running without any issues. I just don’t know what to think.

Hi,

@TomZ, I have checked the messages you report in the bug you created and they do not resemble mine.
Please, when you experience a crash again run alt+f2 and type “systemctl restart display-manager”. This is working as a workaround for me.
Do you use the bluetooth service?

@ricklinux,I agree with everything you say, but we are reporting this problem because we believe the bug is in Plasma. How many hours a day are you with the desktop active?

I am at least 8H daily and I am having random crashes.

“bug” or not, we found a common cause, and it started happening to several people after 5.26. This is clearly not on our end, and something has to be “fixed” in plasma’s code

Well

I tried that a few times by now, but every time Plasma gets stuck during the restart.
What works for me is killing X11, after that things restart fine and I can pick things up again.

I do use Bluetooth, yes.
But from what I read this seems to be a bug in the 5.26 notification code. It’s annying but not serious for me. I am happy to wait for this to get fixed.

I don’t have it running for 8 hrs. But i don’t believe it would matter on my system. I just got a bunch more plasma updates right now.

It’s not just a bug if everyone has the problem. It could be a problem that only effects users that have certain software or hardware installed.