Questions about installation options

Hi guys!

This is my first time installing EndeavourOS, and I can see there are a lot of options to choose from the installer menu which is good (of course the more options the better always).

But I’m not very experienced with Linux so can anybody help explaining what the following options are:

• Packages > LTS kernel in addition
  • Packages > Zen kernel
  • Change Display Manager > (all options)
  • Community Editions > (all options)

For example, what is the difference between installing or not LTS kernel and Zen kernel, what is a display manager and what it means to be change from the default option to a different one, and what are Community Editions installations and how they differ from the default installations.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Welcome Aboard!

This installs the LTS kernel useful if you have older hardware or run into an issue with the newest kernel and can use this as a work around. ALWAYS have more then one kernel installed…trust me.

This installs the zen kernel. It can be better performing for some users then the linux kernel.

Don’t :sweat_smile:

These are editions that have been provided by the EndeavourOS community and supported by the EndeavourOS Forum. They are all different window managers as opposed to desktop environments.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Currently I will be installing EndeavourOS on a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 5500u APU which is considered relatively new hardware. Which kernel(s) would you suggest installing in this case?

I’m still kind of confused as to the display manager and community edition installation options. Like, does changing the display manager affect performance and stability? And do community editions provide anything more than just a GUI difference?

Install both so you will have the linux kernel (“main”), LTS as a backup, and Zen to see if you like it better then the other two. You can choose which kernel you want to boot from the Grub screen when booting up. Once you pick one it should use that until you change it.

Don’t worry about display managers right now. All editions come with a configured option. You only need to worry about it if you are having issues. Walk before you run so to speak.

As far as Community editions the answer to your question is what is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager. That is a lengthy topic. Do some basic research and come back and ping me if you have more questions. Get your self moving and install it already! :hugs:

4 Likes

Information on kernels for you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel

3 Likes