Questions about Endeavour OS

I love this distro, no doubt about it. However there are some stuff which i got too used with Manjaro.
1.Is there any possible way i can import manjaro-icons to Endeavour OS? These icons aren’t my cup of tea.
2.If i change my DE using terminal, how can i remove the old one, together with the bundled apps?

1. Yes. Exactly how depends on the DE and whether the icons are in a package.
  2. It is possible to do that, though it may be easier to reinstall and select a new DE during install.
2 Likes

Well, i can’t seem to find manjaro-icons in official repos, neither on AUR. Can i do it manually or something?

You have to install them manually then, yes. The easiest would be to manually download the package from the Manjaro repos and install it with pacman from a file, assuming it is a package (it probably is).

1 Like

What if i take them from the manjaro distro itself (i have it installed on my external hdd) and put it on Endeavour OS? There’s got to be some special folder where icons are stored in, right?

You could do that, too. But that’s a lot more complicated, because you have to have a working Manjaro install. Where the icons are stored depends on the DE you’re using.

What I’m suggesting is downloading the icon package using your web browser from Manjaro’s mirrors manually and just install it with

sudo pacman -U packagename.pkg.tar.zst

Note that this may, in general, break your system, but for something like icons it should be harmless, because things like icons should not have any special dependencies.

This will list as a foreign package, and it won’t get updated automatically. If you want to update it, you’ll have to manually download it again and run the above command.

5 Likes

You may check the dependencies in Manjaro:

pacman -Qi manjaro-icons

Downloading on EndeavourOS can be done e.g.

# probably a mirror close to you is better
  wget https://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/manjaro/stable/extra/x86_64/manjaro-icons-20191015-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

and install:

sudo pacman -U manjaro-icons-20191015-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

As an advanced tip, you could create a small bash script that checks if Manjaro mirror has a newer version. If so, then the script will do download and install again. And call the script e.g. in your ~.bashrc, assuming you use terminal relatively often.

3 Likes
2 Likes