Question about startup with "Lir" vs "Lin"

Pardon my ignorance, but after some searching, I wasn’t able to find the meaning of the choices I get when Endeavour starts up:

“Endeavouros with Lir”
“Endeavouros with Lin”

It appears Endeavouros with Lir is the default, or at least the choice at the top that will automatically start in a few seconds.

What is the meaning of Lir vs Lin

Thanks

Welcome,
I’m not sure what this is you are referring to? I haven’t seen this. :thinking:

I bet it’s a truncated string that says Endeavouros with Linux. Possible?

1 Like

Ya you are probably right as it starts up with linux linux so maybe it’s cut off?

1 Like

There is a setting in grub.conf that controls resolution of the grub menu. It’s set to auto by default but can be set to any resolution your video card can display. I set mine to 1024x768 with auto as a fallback. I’m on my cellphone now, but when I get home I can post the correct setting and process.

There is a software package in the repositories call grub customizer. It can be installed from a terminal prompt by:

sudo pacman -S grub-customizer

This will give you a nice GUI interface to adjust the settings for the grub boot loader.

In this case, it should help you figure out the difference between “lin” and “lir”.

In my case, I renamed the entries to get rid of the “with Linux Linux” it was showing and to set the background image.

I think you are right that it is just a truncated “Linux”, that changed as I toggled up and down.

installed and opened grub-customizer (thank! @nohbody)

Screenshot_2019-10-05_13-41-10

1 Like

I do not recommend using Grub Customizer. It has to work with too many systems to be aware of all the nuances and be aware of multiple updates. I’m reminded of this quote from the Manjaro forums " … it may work fine … until it doesn’t".

For the most part, I use this tool in the same way I use most graphical system tools (e.g. pamac).

I use it to help sort out what I want to do. Then, I’ll do the final implementation by the command line. That way, I have better control of the process.

1 Like

As promised here’s the way I set the grub resolution.

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto was defaulting to a very low resolution and would not display a complete menu line. To see which resolutions a graphics card will display, type c for a grub command line during boot at the grub menu and then type vbeinfo.
grub> vbeinfo
This will display the resolutions. (many) I chose 1024x768.

Edit /etc/default/grub and modify the line
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
to
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768,auto
Save grub and then update grub.cfg with
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and reboot.

This tells grub to try1024x768 first and if that fails then it tries auto.
Now I have a 1024x768 initial display resolution for the grub menu.

2 Likes

Funny, I duo boot Manjaro and Endeavour, then use Grub Customizer to sort it out. It really depends upon which OS you last installed as to which takes precedent. I use it to reorder grub after installing linux-lts in Endeavour otherwise it opens with the LTS.

You are correct, seems like the latest kernel is added at the top of the grub list. When installing LTS the result is:
0 LTS Kernel
1 LTS Fallback
2 Current Kernel
3 Current Fallback
Note: Numbering of GRUB menu entries start with 0.

I just edited grub to make Current Kernel the default.
Backup the current grub:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

Then edit grub:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Set the default kernel by commenting out the current “GRUB_DEFAULT=” line and changing the “GRUB_DEFAULT=” line to match the kernel you wish to boot:

#GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DEFAULT=“1>2”

The 1 above points to the grub Advanced menu, and the 2 points to the position of the kernel in the boot list. In this case the thid entry. It is also necessary to include the above numbers in quotes. Note: GRUB_DEFAULT=2 also works

Update grub:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

reboot

With Grub Customizer it is a simple matter to highlight and move up the default kernel and then save without all that work in Terminal. You just need to read the manual, which is very thorough.

It’s not about ease of use. It’s about knowing what is being modified in grub and avoiding surprises. You’re comfortable using Grub Customizer. I’m not. It’s good that we have choices.

1 Like

Thanks @CMarch! Always learning something new, which is why I’m enjoying EndeavourOS so much.

:smiley: