Question about grub entry

Greetings lovely community,

I recently did a clean install of EndeavourOS using the latest iso Apollo 22_1.iso and instead of using ext4 this time around, I opted for Btrfs. I always have to make a few changes to my grub on a fresh install and this time was no different, but I noticed something different this time around that wasn’t in there before. I’m wondering if this is because of Btrfs, or if this is a new normal, or if maybe its safe to delete or just leave alone, I am not sure, but would appreciate any help.

Looking into my grub with nano:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

And on roughly the 4th line down I see this line which reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=bf3d1146-2525-4ef5-b853-976777a5ef5d quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvme_load=YES nvidia-drm.modeset=1"

Now I’ve added the quiet and nvidia-drm.modeset=1 parts myself, but in my last install there was no mention of this following line which I’m wondering if anyone knows what exactly this is or if it can just be safely deleted and/or ignored?

resume=UUID=bf3d1146-2525-4ef5-b853-976777a5ef5d

Appreciate any feedback, thank you.

P.S. To the devs, great work on the new .iso!

That is used when resuming from hibernation. It is usually the UUID for your swap partition.

1 Like
  1. Ahh, hmm… well on the installer it asked to create swap w hibernation, swap w no hibernation, swap to file or no swap. My last ext4 install I did swap to file, so I guess that wouldn’t have shown any UUID?

2. The swap without hibernate was 8GB and with hibernation was 16GB. I’ve only got one 256GB SSD in my laptop at the moment, so I actually opted for the 8GB swap without hibernation, but I guess with or without hibernation, any swap will have a UUID I take it?

The opposite. It had the resume=UUID and one more pointer to the start of the swapfile on disk.

I don’t understand the question. Nevertheless, IIRC if you don’t hibernate you don’t get a restore entry in grub, but still have a swap entry in fstab.

It’s all in Archwiki… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: