Qemu, high CPU load

now I try to install EOS cinnamon with your XML
thanks, let’s see how is going :slight_smile:

You can also enable shared memory, which will not only allow you to run multiple VMs without as much pull on your host, but the RAM usage isn’t used unless needed. For example, I have 8 GB on all of my Linux-based VMs. Logging in to my EOS VM, my host’s usage only went up 2 GB.

1 Like

I hope you modified the RAM/CPU usage beforehand. That VM is using 8 GB and 8 vCPUs.

1 Like

the CPU load is always high:
31,5% qemu-system-x86
strange
with 4GB RAM and 8 vCPUs

I can’t help you anymore without your host’s specs.

1 Like

I’ve got some specs :slight_smile:
System:
Kernel: 6.1.7-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64
Desktop: sway v: 1.8

Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-8265U bits: 64

Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel WhiskeyLake-U GT2
driver: i915
Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX230]

Display: wayland server: X.org

Memory: 7.61 GiB

maybe because I’m using Wayland instead of XORG? who knows

Try vmware … :wink:

1 Like

Wayland (on the guest) will be a problem with the Spice VDagent, which offers the GUI interface and clipboard sharing. For you vCPU settings, I would use:

CPU host-passthrough
(1) socket, (2) cores, (2) threads --> 4 total vCPU's

4 GB RAM is the most I would allocate.

1 Like

On his system, I tend to agree. Once you’ve tasted GPU pass-through though, you’ll never go back.

1 Like

Don’t know how to do it. :man_shrugging:
Edit:
My hardware should work no problem but i don’t see the point. I’m not a gamer. I have a very powerful system. My virtual installs work great. Why would i want to do this.

[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ sudo dmesg |grep AMD-Vi
[sudo] password for ricklinux: 
[    0.111696] AMD-Vi: Using global IVHD EFR:0x0, EFR2:0x0
[    0.623943] pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: IOMMU performance counters supported
[    0.628732] pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Found IOMMU cap 0x40
[    0.628736] AMD-Vi: Extended features (0x58f77ef22294a5a, 0x0): PPR NX GT IA PC GA_vAPIC
[    0.628740] AMD-Vi: Interrupt remapping enabled
[    0.714190] AMD-Vi: AMD IOMMUv2 loaded and initialized
[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ 
1 Like

I used this tool to get me started (in the AUR): https://github.com/uwzis/GPU-Passthrough-Manager. Once you’ve got the GPU isolated, the rest is easy.

1 Like

Unless you have a specific Windows-only program that requires a serious GPU, then you don’t need it. I have a couple of games that just run better on Windows (tried Proton/Wine, but the performance wasn’t up to par), and my ISP installs Windows-only DRM when accessing their online TV service.

1 Like

I have an RX 590 which was the best card in the AMD 500 series. It’s not as good as today’s gamer cards but it will do. My CPU is a Ryzen 3800X which works extremely well. It gives the 5900X a run for it’s money. I have 32 GB of memory, more storage space than i know what to do with. I’m barely using any with 2 m.2 500 GB, 1 SSD 500 GB, and a 4 TB performance HD. My X570 board has zero issues with it’s firmware. Dmesg is completely clean. I’ve run virt-manager and virtualbox and vmware. There are too many issues with virtualbox currently and i don’t like virtmanager as well as vmware workstation pro. So I’m using vmware for what i use it for. It works great for me for what i need it for. I also have Windows 11. Why? Who knows…it came on the computer. Once in a while i use it. :laughing:

1 Like

Before I dumped my dual-boot, I was using VMware Pro and loved it; way easier to deal with than VirtualBox. My only problem with VMware was the support, or lack of it. You could feel the frustration from the users and forum mods; seemed like the product was becoming an after-thought. I moved on to VB for a bit before making the switch to KVM.

Every time I see a kernel module problem post, I feel I made the right decision.

1 Like

I have no problems with vmware.

If anyone is seeing this and you are using Ryzen CPU’s,add this to your vm.xml file:

<features>
  <acpi/>
  <apic/>
  <pae/>
  <hyperv>
    <relaxed state='on'/>
    <vapic state='on'/>
    <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
    <vpindex state='on'/>
    <synic state='on'/>
    <stimer state='on'/>
    <reset state='on'/>