pulseAudio or PipeWire

Hey,

I never messed around with audio on Linux. Today I tried to record some audio via ffmpeg to see how it works. The stuff I find by searching is confusing for me. First of all it seems to me that distros either use pulseAudio or PipeWire for audio, but I find some binaries related to both of them. I remember moving from pulseAudio to Pipewire on one the updates. On other hand I can find all the binaries in tutorials I find online. For example there is no pacmd binary so that I can find a list of all audio inputs and outputs of my system. There are a lot of questions , but the most important one is , which program EndeavourOS uses right now for audio and how I can find the list of input and output devices from that?

You probably use pipewire and should use pipewire. Since pipewire also provides pulseaudio backwards compatibility most of the tools interacting with pulseaudio work just fine, but not all of them, esp. if they were part of the pulseaudio core package like pacmd.

Personally I still often use pactl. Lot of documentation/tutorials for that, e.g. pactl list sinks short or pactl list sources short. Mostly depends on what you want to achieve after having that list of inputs/outputs.

1 Like

Tbh I am not sure what I want to do excatly, I think a good start is to write a oneliner script to record audio from my headset. I think it is much better than a GUI , at least for a quick and dirty capture. But other than that I am not sure. I think it is very cool that we can easily interact with devices like that. I like to have a simple script to capture audio and video but I also like to see a feedback for video on my screen and I am not sure how I can do that. I had installed cheese and audacity on my system so it is not like I can’t do it right now. It is just that I like to do it non-bloated / cool way.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.