PSA: Budgie users, don't update to the Gnome 40 stack (or get an alternative desktop)

Budgie depends on parts of the Gnome stack; most crucially Mutter. Mutter 8 was recently released, which isn’t backwards-compatible with v7, so there was a bit of work in getting it to work with Mutter 8. However, when you launch budgie-desktop-settings with this once, the panel resets. Launch it again, you get a crash. Probably more functionality broken. I’d hold off until this is fixed. Opened issue https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/issues/2121, hoping it gets fixed soon. Ah well, I’ll try cinnamon. wanting to do that anyways :wink:

7 Likes

I am running Budgie with the Gnome 40 components including mutter 40.0-3 on two different computers with no problems.

One is a Ryzen 5 3400G on a B450 board using the graphics on the 3400G CPU.
The other is a Ryzen 7 2700 on a X470 board with an AMD Radeon RX 560 GPU card.

On both systems, I have been switching back and forth between Gnome 40 and Budgie playing with both to see If I want to go the Gnome 40 route.

I’m not saying your problem isn’t mutter, but it could be a combination of your hardware and mutter. Perhaps a little more info on your hardware setup is in order?

Pudge

Okay. I have to take that back. Since my Budgie Desktop was configured the way I like it, I hadn’t used budgie-desktop-settings. After re-reading the OP, I get the same results. First time I launch budgie-desktop-settings the panel resets, and the second time I get a screen that says

Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can’t recover. Please log out ant try again.

Click on the LogOut button and login and all is well so far.

Pudge

Indeed; it may also affect other components of the desktop. Not sure.

2 Likes

Fixed upstream. You can use budgie-desktop-git. Alerted the Arch package maintainer as well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.