Problems with Yad

If that was the only overwritten password file…

after replacing /etc/shadow it will only have:

root:*:14871::::::

This is why i didn’t want to deal with the pacnew files because i don’t have a full understanding of all the variables. Hence why i asked the OP to post the yad error. I understand what is going on sort of regarding not being able to get into system. Since it is a dual boot the OP will have to get back online somehow to get on the forum. He can always get on with the live ISO.

That’s a lot of files… . . I go VERY slowly line by line other than mirror list, I always throw that one away. .

I’ve never had to deal with it. Yet!

At all? You install too much hahaha

Clearly there is a need for a pacdiff replacement app that doesn’t allow overwriting important files so easily.

Yep…guilty as charged! How else can i test stuff.

you can recover /etc/shadow from arch-chroot:

1. arch-chroot into installed system from Live ISO
  2. run pwconv
  3. reset user password: passwd username (replacing username with your … username)
  4. reset admin/root password (use the same as for the user if you want that)
    passwd

arch-chroot on uefi: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot-for-efi-uefi-systems/2021/03/

on Bios/legacy: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot-for-bios-legacy-systems/2021/03/

1 Like

@mr.ed war zu schnell mit dem überschreiben … sorry wenn wir nicht deutlich genug waren…

Sorry, but I can’t answer at the moment. I will get back to you later this evening (CET). Writing this now from Win10. First of all thank you very much!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I had already shut down Linux. And today I failed of course already at the password query. In the next few days I will try to understand what exactly happened and then rebuild my system step by step. I will get back to you!

removing /etc/shadow is the issue… it contains all users and groups password connections… so to resolve you need to boot on live iso and arch-chroot into your system… and use what i write before to restore it.

2 Likes

Hello everybody! With the great support of Ricklinux I have now come this far:

[liveuser@eos-2021.08.27 ~]$ sudo su
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/boot
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/boot/efi
[root@EndeavourOS liveuser]# arch-chroot /mnt
[root@EndeavourOS /]# ls /home
ws
[root@EndeavourOS /]# pwconv
[root@EndeavourOS /]# sudo su
[root@EndeavourOS /]# pwconv
[root@EndeavourOS /]# pwconv passwd username
Usage: pwconv [options]

Options:
-h, --help display this help message and exit
-R, --root CHROOT_DIR directory to chroot into
[root@EndeavourOS /]#

Rick recommends that I contact the forum again at this point (pwconv): “This is where you are going to have to ask joe or manuel because i don’t have any experience using that particular command.”

only passwd username
username= your user name

pwconf is recreating the file you removed before (/etc/shadow)… but it does not recreate the passwords for your user i am also not sur eabout root… you should also reset the root password passwd

[root@EndeavourOS /]# pwconv passwd ws
Usage: pwconv [options]

Options:
-h, --help display this help message and exit
-R, --root CHROOT_DIR directory to chroot into

[root@EndeavourOS /]#

these are different commands… one is pwconv the other is passwd do not mix them:
pwconv only one time like it is no additional option or commands to it!!
passwd ws
and
passwd to set password for root

What is the command? pwconv (convert)? Or pwconf (confidence)?

this is the command

1 Like

[root@EndeavourOS /]# passwd ws
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: password updated successfully
[root@EndeavourOS /]#