Problems After Updating to KDE 6

Ok, so I am pretty sure i updated to KDE 6 today, which seems to work ok, but it is a lot slower to startup then KDE 5 was.
Anyways, my main issue right now is that I have files that I can’t update because I have mesa-git installed, which is requiring versions of lib32 and llvm that are lower then what is currently released. What would be the best solution for this? I can’t really just replace mesa-git with mesa as mesa-git also includes a lot of other drivers. Most of the guides that I see are for Radeon/Nvidia cards, and I have an Intel Arc card.

Did you build mesa-git yourself? If so, it may need to be rebuilt.

If that is the case, you can switch back to mesa when you upgrade and then after the upgrade, build mesa-git against the new libs.

so I think it was built it when I initially installed it ( yay -S mesa-git ), and since then I have just been doing yay to continue to update my computer. Do I need to do additional things?

When you build things from source, you sometimes get into situations where they need to be rebuilt.

In the case of mesa, I would try this:

sudo pacman -Syu mesa
yay -S mesa-git

it won’t let me do the first command as it says that mesa and mesa-git are in conflict. If I don’t remove it, then there is unresolvable conflicts, and if I do remove it, it breaks a lot of dependencies.

I did the second command, and it really didn’t do anything as I already have it installed.

I think I just have to wait until mesa-git updates his repo. It is marked out of date, so maybe he just hasn’t had the time to update it like normal. I would like to switch back to mesa, but since mesa-git pulls in so much more then just mesa, it is kind of tricky. Last time I just ended up re installing to do it.

Can you share the full output of the command? Answer Y to replace it.

If it is an AUR package, it probably won’t matter.

I experience the same; I get plasma splash screen after login and it loads like for 20-30 secs. I’ve seen peeps reporting the same on KDE Neon, so I guess it’s some temporary bug.

Related It takes unusually long to log into Plasma 6

I guess it depends on your hardware and setup. I don’t see this issue on any of my systems.

Please see the output

ben@ben-desktoplinux ~ [SIGINT]> sudo pacman -Syu mesa
[sudo] password for ben: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 endeavouros is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: mesa and mesa-git are in conflict (mesa-libgl). Remove mesa-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing mesa-git breaks dependency 'mesa-git' required by lib32-mesa-git
:: installing lib32-llvm-libs (17.0.6-2) breaks dependency 'lib32-llvm-libs=16.0.6' required by lib32-mesa-git
:: removing mesa-git breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam
:: removing mesa-git breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam-native-runtime

How about:

sudo pacman -Syu mesa lib32-mesa
yay -S mesa-git lib32-mesa-git
1 Like

Leads to another error

ben@ben-desktoplinux ~ [1]> sudo pacman -Syu mesa lib32-mesa
[sudo] password for ben: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 endeavouros is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra                                                                              8.4 MiB  6.83 MiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: mesa and mesa-git are in conflict (mesa-libgl). Remove mesa-git? [y/N] y
:: lib32-mesa and lib32-mesa-git are in conflict (lib32-mesa-libgl). Remove lib32-mesa-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing mesa-git breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam
:: removing lib32-mesa-git breaks dependency 'lib32-vulkan-driver' required by steam
:: removing mesa-git breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam-native-runtime
:: removing lib32-mesa-git breaks dependency 'lib32-vulkan-driver' required by steam-native-runtime

pacman -Qs vulkan-driver

Let me add a couple of problems.

Of course, VNC (x0vncserver) does not work. Interestingly but possibly due to some other update, “x0vnc … &” used to work in ~/.xprofile and from a terminal after it is closed, but now something like deown is required to keep it running (but not working).

Waking from sleep, Plasma demonstrates artifacts at best and freezes at worst.

Krusader complains that Konsole is not installed, while it is installed.

Should EndeavourOS wait at least until KRDP reaches production? I guess no.

This has nothing to do with EndeavourOS, software on EndeavourOS comes from the Arch repos.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

had to kind of do a combination,

seems to be working currently, I hope it comes back after a reboot

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.