Problem with program window max outside of monitor

I have a new monitor (panasonic VIERA) as 2nd monitor.
When I max any program on the 2nd monitor, it is bigger than monitor itself, hence up down left right sides of the program is outside of the monitor. I have tried to tune the “aspect” of the monitor, but be it "auto, 16:9, 14:9, 4:3 … all modes not able to make the program max to it proper size. Since the monitor itself can’t be adjust to solve the problem, is there anyway to adjust on laptop side so that the window max to proper size on my monitor ?

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: nvidia v: 455.23.04 
           Device-3: Acer MSI Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 
           1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~50Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.8 

thanks

Is this a monitor, or is it a TV? If it’s a TV, make sure you are using the PC input, and check the overscan settings.

It is panasonic VIERA TV. There are PC (vga port), hdmi1 to hdmi4.
I am using Hdmi cable, so, pc port is not an option. I tried HDMI 1 to hdmi2, both same; When maximized, the vlc windows lost their title bar and status bar and a part of left and right windows frame all truncated (some buttons missing )
Not found “overscan” feature yet.

When connecting a PC to a TV, overscan is a common problem. Due to legacy broadcast standards, many TVs force the edges of the picture outside of the frame.

There is often a way to correct it inside the TV. Have you thoroughly been through all the TV menus?

If not, you have to resort to correcting it in software.

There is not much to search. The most promising is the “ASPECT” button on the tv remote controller. I have tried : auto, 16:9 14:9 4:3 and all the settings inside the “ASPECT” , nothing work correctly.
In other menu, there are only colors quality and stuff… nothing to do with size.20200926_233240
There are status bar and title bar for this vlc window
20200926_232759 20200926_232729

It won’t be on the remote or in some obvious location. It will either buried in some submenu or in the service menus which will require some research on your part to access. Have you tried contacting Panasonic?

It is usually much easier to fix on the TV but if you would prefer to correct it in software, you can take a look at this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr#Correction_of_overscan_tv_resolutions_via_the_underscan_property

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. Due to your advice, i searched harder into the menu of the tv and found overscan setting on/ off. After turned off the overscan , it is perfect! thanks

3 Likes