Power management issues on old Thinkpad

I’m running EOS i3 on a Thinkpad T500 and having issues with power management, specifically what happens when I close the lid. I’ve tried both the xset parameters in the i3 config file and also xfce4-power-manager, but every time I close the lid the computer seems to hard freeze. The screen turns off as expected, but it doesn’t respond to any key presses and the CPU gets very hot and fan ramps way up. The only way to use it again is hold down the power button to turn it off, then when it boots back up the CPU is sometimes as high as 80 degrees (typically around 40-50 max on normal use).

Sounds like a kernel 5.12-related suspend issue. Try linux-lts and see if the same happens there.

1 Like

Thanks, I will. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to kernel stuff though (I came over from Manjaro where a GUI tool handled selecting your kernel), what command would I run after installing linux-lts to set that as the default?

Never mind, I did some searching and found it, that seems to solve the problem. I wasn’t aware of the suspend issue with 5.12 since my primary computer is a PC that never goes to sleep. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

As written in another thread for my laptop the problem is gone after updating to kernel 5.12.7

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ll have to check after updating. I switched to LTS and that seems to solve the problem so at least I have a fallback. It’s a 10+ year old laptop, so I’m not sure if having the newest kernel really gives me much benefit anyway

That is right. A 10+ year old laptop normally does not need the latest kernel. But LTS kernel will be updated to higher kernels one day too. If by that time suspend is not working any more, you will not be able to update any more. Out of that reason I always install the latest kernel and report if there are any problems.

2 Likes

Good point. I would expect there to be a fix eventually though even if 5.12.7 doesn’t work for me, so no worries! I’ll try it and see, and if not just hang out with LTS and wait for a fix. Having options like this is what makes Linux great!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.