Post GRUB graphics issues after going into Windows

I need either Topaz of DxO Photolab. I admire your attempts at explaining how some things are good enough - and indeed, some are. I even use Darktable on Windows (where it runs worse than in Linux). But if you’re shooting wildlife with long lenses with £8000 of kit, and not £19000 of kit (and actually even then), then denoising IS a part of the process, and no, in many cases, we can’t explain it away by saying it looks good.

I currently use Topaz in a VM. That works.

3 Likes

I’m sorry… I don’t think you know enough about photography or videography based on these remarks. But this is getting way off topic.

1 Like

Hmm… last time I tried, Wine failed pretty bad with Topaz (about two years ago). I’m currently using a VM, but will give Wine another look with Topaz. If it works with Wine, that’s one less headache :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Screenshot_20220524_134102

2 Likes

Oh wow… did you need any special flags or anything for this? Or does it works straight out of the box now?

I’ve used:

• wine 6.17-staging
  • DLL Override:
concrt140 (native, builtin)

One thing to keep in mind - don’t use system wine, because update can certainly break some things, it rolls incredibly fast, once you’ve found a good version for specific software - keep it.

More on how to use portable wine you can find here

3 Likes

Yup… seems to run with the concrt140 override. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another observation, I’ve now switched cables so it’s DP-0 and DP-4 connected. Linux boots just fine. However, this is my current /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

https://clbin.com/Typnm

You can clearly see my xorg only says one panel, and that too DP-2, which isn’t even plugged in: (xrandr output)

https://clbin.com/cEGnt

With this setup, I’m getting 5K all through (i.e. login window, and then my session). I wonder where it’s getting the settings to do 5K from when the /etc/X11/xorg.conf says to use only one monitor.

1 Like

Topaz Denoise is working nicely with your override. I’m trying to get PhotoAI running under wine too. But the installer flat out crashes when starting. I was wondering if you managed to get that running somehow.

Nope, what’s that?
If you give me a link i might take a look when have some free time

honka_animated-128px-35

You mean also Topaz’s https://www.topazlabs.com/topaz-photo-ai?

Yes, that’s the one. The msi installer fails to even load under wine (running 7.20).

1 Like

So, trial demo installer works out of the box (tested with wine 6.17 staging) and gives this error:

Changed to Windows 10 in winecfg for that wineprefix

Screenshot_20221107_203307

After then i’ve got that warning which restricts proceeding… :roll_eyes:

So i guess you’re doomed if your CPU doesn’t support AVX instructions…
However that being said - my CPU clearly supports it, yet still i have this stupid error.

Which means that installer is utterly broken crap, i suggest to wait for some :pirate_flag: portable version or make your own, if you really need this program.

1 Like

And to prove my point that it’s not wine or CPU - here’s CPU-Z running in same prefix showing AVX and AVX2 available :upside_down_face:

Screenshot_20221107_205604

Windows!